Winter weather safety tips from Ready Rowan
Published 9:08 am Tuesday, December 9, 2014
Winter does not arrive until Dec. 21, but we’ve had lots of cold weather already. Ready Rowan offers these tips for cold weather safety:
• Keep alternative heating sources prepared. Keep fire extinguishers on hand. Be sure your family knows how to use them.
• Use a NOAA Weather Radio. Monitor it for changing weather conditions.
• Dress warmly. Wear multiple layers of thin clothing instead of a single layer of thick clothing to stay warm. Wear hats, gloves, scarves and heavy coats.
• Properly vent kerosene heaters and keep any electric generators outside and away from any open windows or doors to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. Do not burn charcoal indoors.
• Always keep at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food in your home.