Answers to news quiz
1. B. Pollard, now 9, received The Honor Medal at this month’s meeting of the executive board of the Central N.C. Council of Scouting.
2. B. Aclin is one of 16 finalists for the $100,000 Dr Pepper Tuition Giveaway. She already has won a prize of $2,500 and a trip to compete in the finals in Santa Clara, Calif.
3. D. Melton will serve a three-year term on the National Drinking Water Advisory Council.
4. A. Catesby was a pioneering naturalist of his day. Rowan Public Library also has a 1754 second edition, two-volume set of Catesby’s landmark study of flora and fauna in the American colonies.
5. C. With High Rock Lake’s water level down, the DOT has inspected the causeway and reports it is not safe for vehicle traffic and must remain closed until repairs are made.
6. C. Friday’s “Shop the Block” promotion downtown was followed by “Small Business Saturday.”
7. D. Lambert’s first day of work at Cannon Memorial YMCA was Aug. 14, 1964.
8. A. Rowan County members of the Western Carolina University band included Ken Piatt, H.A. Hoffman, Sarah West, Jimmy Parham, Brooke Myall, Caroline Wood, Savanna Starnes and Alex Day.
9. A. Salisbury-Rowan Utilities already has state permits which allow it to apply sludge to 1,441.9 acres in Rowan County.
10. A. Thomas suffers from hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and recently had surgery to receive a defibrillator.
SALISBURY – Steve Wideman decided his Firewater Restaurant and Bar should feed the needy on Thanksgiving because his late mother,... read more