Area College Sports: Livingstone women 4-0
From staff reports
Precious Roberts scored 20 points and Cierra York had 18 as Livingstone won 62-60 at UNC Pembroke on Tuesday.
York hit a 3-pointer to lift the Blue Bears to their fourth straight victory.
Livingstone shot 30.4 percent and was outrebounded, but the Blue Bears forced 19 turnovers while committing eight.
Roberts 20, York 18, Crosby 10, Fowler 6, Curtis 3, Foster 2, Hicks 2, Malone 1.
UNC PEMBOKE (60)
Hardy 11, Kemp 10, Mitchell 8, Haney 7, Robinson 7, Lawson 6, Horne 5, Stevens 5, Huntley 1.
Livingstone 24 38 — 62
UNC Pembroke 28 32 — 60
Newberry got 25 points from Samantha Creed and pulled out a 72-64 road win at Catawba in SAC action on Tuesday at Goodman Gym.
The Wolves, ranked 11th, improved to 5-0 overall and 3-0 in the SAC. The Catawba Indians fall to 3-2 and 1-2.
Catawba trailed 23-7 at one point but rallied for a 28-27 halftime lead.
Janna Dixon led Catawba with a career-high 17 points, hitting five 3-pointers. Bully added 15 points and eight boards, while Terri Rogers had 11 points and 10 rebounds. Zhaquondalee Greer, who led Catawba’s first-half rally, scored 11 points.
Newberry went 13-of-25 on 3-pointers.
Catawba hosts Pfeiffer at 2 p.m. on Saturday.
Creed 25, Perry 18, Pearson 12, Lepaio 4, Leung 3, Handreck 3, Pacholke 3, Dunsmore 2, Schultz 2.
Dixon 17, Bully 15, Greer 11, Rogers 11, Ucinski 6, Johnson 4, Franklin, S. Brown, K. Brown, Richardson.
Newberry 28 44 — 72
Catawba 27 37 — 64
Fayetteville State’s Doreen Richardson (Salisbury) was named the CIAA Newcomer of the Week.
Richardson, a junior who transferred after two seasons at Gardner-Webb, is averaging 14.7 points and 5.7 rebounds after three games.
She scored 18 against Fairmont State.
• Morehead State’s Shay Steele (West Rowan) scored 21 points in Monday’s 98-68 romp against Brescia.
Steele had four rebounds and three blocks.
• Jessica Heilig (Salisbury) had nine points and eight rebounds as Gardner-Webb rolled 73-53 against North Carolina A&T.
• Olivia Rankin (Salisbury) had six points and five rebounds for Charlotte in a 67-54 loss to Elon.
•Ashia Holmes (Salisbury) had 14 points and 11 rebounds for Belmont Abbey in 72-63 win against Winston-Salem State.
• Karleigh Wike (East Rowan) scored her first point for Richmond in an 80-50 win against Longwood.
• Columbia’s Alison Sobataka (West Rowan) had eight points and five assists in a win against Reinhardt.
Former North Rowan standouts T.J. Bates, Michael Bowman and Malik Ford scored in J.C. Smith’s blowout win against Johnson & Wales. Ford had a breakaway dunk.
•Teven Jones (A.L.Brown) had 10 points, three assists and three steals as Tarleton State blew out Dallas Christian 88-58.
Javon Hargrave (North Rowan) had two tackles for loss for South Carolina State in Saturday’s 30-20 win against Norfolk State.
• After his big rushing game against Duke (17-for-96 yards), Romar Morris (Salisbury) is closing in on 1,000 career rushing yards. He has 939 yards in 199 carries.
• Virginia senior Kevin Parks (West Rowan) has 3,149 career rushing yards, 766 receiving yards and 33 touchdowns.Parks is sixth on Virginia’s career list.