10 things to know for today
By The Associated Press
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Wednesday:
1. U.S., CHINA MAKE KEY CLIMATE CHANGE PLEDGES
The world’s top two polluters agree on taking ambitious action to limit greenhouse gases, setting an example for other nations one year before key negotiations in Paris.
2. WEALTHY NATIONS’ SUMMIT TO FOCUS ON GLOBAL GROWTH
Amid sluggish economic conditions, the G-20 summit in Australia is zeroing in on boosting the world’s GDP by $2 trillion.
3. DRONES MAKE UNAUTHORIZED FLIGHTS NEAR AIRPLANES AND AIRPORTS
The FAA is receiving daily reports that the unmanned aircraft are flying close to helicopters and planes.
4. STERILIZATION DEATHS HIGHLIGHT PLIGHT OF INDIAN WOMEN
Twelve women died and dozens fell ill following operations held as part of a nationwide birth control campaign in the poor, overpopulated country.
5. HOW EGYPT’S NEXT PARLIAMENTARY ELECTION COULD GO
With the banning of the Muslim Brotherhood and the suppression of dissenting voices, the country’s poll will mostly likely produce a rubber-stamp parliament.
6. THIS TARGET’S MOVING AT 41,000 MPH
The European Space Agency is trying to land a scientific probe on a streaking comet in one of the most audacious space adventures ever.
7. DEMOCRATS LOSE ONE MORE SEAT
Alaska’s senate race goes to GOP’s Dan Sullivan who beat incumbent Mark Begich, handing Republicans another victory in the midterm election.
8. WHY FIVE GLOBAL BANKS WERE FINED
Regulators are imposing a $3 billion fine on Citibank, JPMorgan Chase Bank, Royal Bank of Scotland, UBS and HSBC Bank for attempting to manipulate foreign exchange markets.
9. WHAT LENT SIZZLE TO VETERANS DAY IN US
Rihanna and Bruce Springsteen are among headliners at a free concert on the National Mall intended to raise awareness of issues affecting veterans.
10. MLB NAMES MANAGERS OF THE YEAR
Baltimore’s Buck Showalter wins the AL award for the third time. Washington’s Matt Williams, who played under Showalter, gets the NL prize.