Area athletes: Smith, Gilbert shine for D-III schools
Area athletes update …
Adam Smith (Davie) had another huge day for Guilford in Saturday’s 42-21 win against Catholic.
Smith caught six passes for 204 yards, including three touchdowns. Smith’s 78-yard TD catch was Guilford’s longest play of the season.
Smith has 14 TD catches.
• Guilford’s Devin Mason (South Rowan) had two tackles, including a sack for a loss of 10 yards.
• Averett DB Dontae Gilbert (Carson) had a tremendous game in a 31-21 win against Methodist. Gilbert had nine tackles, including eight solos. He blocked a field goal and had two interceptions. Gilbert returned those picks 58 yards and is a conference defensive player of the week candidate.
• Hobie Proctor (West Rowan) also did his share for Averett, kicking a field goal and four PATs, as well as handling punting and kickoff duties.
• Coming off an amazing game against Bethune-Cookman that earned him FCS national player of the week accolades, South Carolina State’s Javon Hargrave (North Rowan) had one sack for a loss of 8 yards in a 59-7 romp against Savannah State.
• In Western Carolina’s 51-0 loss to Chattanooga, Shaun Warren (Carson) returned four kickoffs for 66 yards and had three carries for 7 yards.
• Virginia Kevin Parks (West Rowan) had five carries for 13 yards and caught four passes for 16 yards in Saturday’s 35-10 loss to Georgia Tech.
• Keeon Johnson (A.L. Brown) had three catches for 36 yards for the Cavaliers.
• Romar Morris (Salisbury) rushed five times for 23 yards for UNC and caught a 4-yard pass in a 47-20 loss to Miami.
• Damien Washington (A.L. Brown) had a 27-yard reception for the Tar Heels and also returned a kickoff 19 yards.
• Keion Adams (Salisbury) made one tackle in Western Michigan’s 41-10 win against Miami(Ohio).
• Gerald Holt (A.L. Brown) made a tackle for Liberty in a 28-7 win against Presbyterian.
• Hunter Morris (A.L. Brown) handled long-snapping duties for The Citadel in a 28-26 win against Mercer.
• James Lott IV (A.L. Brown) was outstanding for Johnson C. Smith in a 14-10 homecoming win against St. Augustine’s. Lott broke up a pass and made 11 tackles. The DB had four tackles for loss, including a sack.
• Erik Amaya (A.L. Brown) kicked two PATs for J.C. Smith. The Golden Bulls host Livingstone on Saturday.
• Logan Stoodley (West Rowan) had six tackles, one for loss, in Limestone’s 43-41 loss to Kentucky Wesleyan.
• Wingate’s T.J. Bell (Carson) handled long-snapping duties in a 24-14 loss to North Greenville.
• UNC Pembroke’s Cadarreus Mason (South Rowan) had four tackles, one for loss, in a 20-17 overtime loss to Tusculum.
• Calvin Edwards (East Rowan) returned four kickoffs for 54 yards in Lenoir-Rhyne’s 35-32 win against Carson-Newman.
• Sheldon Saddler (A.L. Brown) started at right tackle for Shaw in a 61-10 loss to Winston-Salem State.
• Brevard’s Garrett Nestor (Davie) punted six times and averaged 39.3 yards in a 34-14 loss to Newberry.
• John Knox (Salisbury) had a reception for 5 yards as Charleston won 42-13 against West Liberty.
West Liberty’s Quentin Sifford (West Rowan) had two tackles, one for a 3-yard loss.
Olivia Rankin (Salisbury) was named team captain by Charlotte.
Charlotte’s Rankin and Ayanna Holmes (Salisbury) will play against Catawba in an exhibition game on Wednesday.
McKenzie Stevens (Salisbury) helped Queens beat Wingate 104-101 with a second-place finish in the 200 freestyle. Stevens swam 1:55.99.
Nicole Barringer (South Rowan) had 94 assists and 35 digs but Averett dropped weekend matches to Virginia Wesleyan and Roanoke to end the regular season.
Lynsey Corriher (South Rowan) had four kills and nine digs in those two matches.
Barringer also had 41 assists and eight digs in a win against Greensboro earlier in the week. Averett is a No. 2 seed in the conference tournament.
• Brevard’s Hannah Elmore (Carson) totaled 10 kills and 10 digs in losses to Tusculum and Mars Hill.
• Lela Moore had 22 assists and four kills for Hollins in a 3-0 loss to Shenandoah.