Area athletes: Kennedy strong in golf tournament
Area athletes update…
Gardner-Webb’s Jake Kennedy (West Rowan) shot 75-70-75 — 220 and tied for 26th in the Camden Collegiate Invitational hosted by South Carolina.
Kennedy was the Big South Freshman of the Week earlier this season.
• Troy Beaver (Salisbury) shot 79-75-74 — 228 for Elon and tied for 62nd in the Camden Invitational. That was the last match of the fall for Elon.
• Davidson also competed in the Camden Invitational. Alex Nianouris (Salisbury) shot 79-77-79 — 235 for the Wildcats and finished 74th.
• Sandhills Community College’s Alex Austin (Salisbury) shot 77 in the Johnston Community College Neuse Invitational.
Virginia’s K.P. Parks (West Rowan) rushed for 75 yards on 16 carries in a 20-13 loss at Duke, including a 26-yard burst. Parks also had a pass reception for 7 yards.
Parks is sixth in the ACC with 602 rushing yards.
• Lenoir-Rhyne’s Ike Whitaker (Salisbury) served as a captain in the undefeated Bears’s win at Newberry. Whitaker is coming back from an injury. He had one carry for 3 yards.
• Romar Morris (Salisbury) had nine carries for 41 yards in a 48-43 win against Georgia Tech. Damien Washington (A.L. Brown) made a tackle for the Tar Heels on a punt.
• Keion Adams (Salisbury) was in on two tackles for Western Michigan in a 26-14 win against Bowling Green.
• West Virginia linebacker Jared Barber (Davie) likely will miss all of this season as he recovers from a torn ACL, but he’s expected to play as a fifth-year senior in 2015.
• Emmanuel Gbunblee (West Rowan) had two tackles for Tusculum in Saturday’s loss to Carson-Newman. One was for no gain.
• Logan Stoodley (West Rowan) had three tackles, one for loss, for Limestone in a 24-19 loss to Fort Valley Sate. Limestone played the game in Georgia, the first time it’s played outside South Carolina.
• John Knox (Salisbury) had two receptions for 20 yards as Charleston beat West Virginia State 28-10.
• Quentin Sifford (West Rowan) made two tackles, one for loss, and ran back a kickoff 18 yards as West Liberty rolled 44-14 against Urbana on Saturday.
• James Lott IV (A.L. Brown) had a sack for Johnson C. Smith in Saturday’s 34-14 loss to Fayetteville State. Erik Amaya (A.L. Brown) kicked the PATs for the Golden Bulls.
• A pick-six by Mark McDaniel (South Rowan) got Catawba off to a fast start in Saturday’s 30-17 win against UNC Pembroke. Jamal Lackey (Davie) made six tackles, two for loss.
Trey Mashore (West Rowan) rushed twice for 10 yards, caught four passes for 22 yards, returned three kickoffs for 63 yards and made a tackle for the Indians. Donte Means (East Rowan) made the tackle on a kickoff.
Cadarreus Mason (South Rowan) made five tackles for UNC Pembroke.
• Guilford’s Adam Smith (Davie) had four catches for 46 yards in a 35-28 win against Bridgewater.
• Averett’s Dontae Gilbert (Carson) had eight tackles and broke up a pass in a 38-7 loss to Christopher Newport. Hobie Proctor (West Rowan)) kicked a PAT and averaged 38.6 yards on five punts for Averett.
L.J. McCray (Catawba) had made two tackles for the San Francisco 49ers this season. He’s had tackles against Arizona and Kansas City.
K.J. Sherrill (West Rowan) scored 16 points in his debut for Cuxhaven in Germany’s ‘A’ Pro League.
In the Pitt Community College fall World Series, Jordan Goodman (NW Cabarrus) hit .625 with three extra-base hits and five RBIs and was named MVP. Also on the winning team were Michael Caldwell (East Rowan), Dustin Ritchie (East Rowan) and Tanner Bigham (NW Cabarrus).
Queens freshman McKenzie Stevens (Salisbury) finished sixth in the 200 freestyle in the Royal Open and was ninth in the same event in the All-North Carolina Invitational in Greensboro.
Catawba’s Rowan Connection — Salisbury’s Karen Presnell and West Rowan’s Allison Baucom and Allison Parker — has been instrumental in a strong season by the Indians (10-4, 5-3 SAC). Presnell has four goals. Baucom has three, including two in a 3-2 win against Brevard on Saturday. Parker’s only goal lifted the Indians to a 1-0 win against Tusculum.
College cross country
Georgia Southern’s Rebecca Parker (West Rowan) ran 22:01 in the College of Charleston Invitational.
Averett’s Nicole Barringer (South Rowan) had 79 assists, 15 digs and eight kills as the Cougars beat LaGrange and Huntingdon. Lynsey Corriher (South Rowan) had a kill against Huntingdon.
SALISBURY — Corbin Hills was a friendly, smiling golf course when the Rowan County Championships were conducted there in mid-September.... read more