Man on train gets charged
A Georgia man was issued a citation for marijuana possession following a random search onboard an Amtrak train making a stop at the Salisbury Depot.
Salisbury Police received a call at 5:26 p.m. Tuesday to say the conductor had gotten a complaint about a strong odor coming from one of two passengers. When the train made its scheduled stop in Salisbury, police boarded the train.
“The conductor made an announcement that there would be a random search of passengers, according to Amtrak policy,” said Capt. Shelia Lingle.
When the train got to the station at 6:02 p.m., the officer asked Uniah Jahdu Anderson, 27, of Ackworth, Ga. for permission to search him and his bags, which he consented to, Lingle said.
Police located 3.2 grams of marijuana in a shirt pocket and digital scales inside Anderson’s gym bag. He was given a citation for simple possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia. He was removed from the train upon the search.
In other police reports:
• Rent-a-Center reported on Monday a larceny occurred in the 100 block of East Innes Street.
• A man reported on Monday a larceny in the 200 block of North Main Street.
• A woman reported on Monday that a student assaulted staff and damaged school property at Henderson Independent High School.
• A woman reported on Tuesday her purse was taken from the open trunk of her vehicle while in the 600 block of Mocksville Avenue.
• A man reported on Tuesday an assault with a motor vehicle in the 100 block of Emerson Lane.
• Ida Cornelia Morgan, 51, and Linda Morgan, 49, were charged Monday with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia in the 100 block of South Shaver Street.
In sheriff’s reports:
• A man reported on Monday he was scammed out of $20 in the 5100 block of Foster Road, Woodleaf.
• A woman reported Monday a credit card fraud occurred in the 400 block of Goodman Road, China Grove.
• Rowan Septic Tank reported Monday someone damaged a Port A John in the 600 block of Upright Road, Mount Ulla.
• Safe Guard Property reported Monday someone stole a water heater in the 100 block of Winona Avenue, Kannapolis.
• A man reported Monday someone vandalized a gas tank in the 2900 block of Old Concord Road.
• Curtis Carl Cowan, 49, was charged Monday with misdemeanor resist, obstruct, delay an officer in the 1300 block of Julian Road.
• Emmett Lawrence Thomas, 39, and Angela Dawn Thomas, 38, were charged Monday with violation of the solid waste ordinance in the 100 block of McWood Drive, China Grove.
• Justin Frank Gribble, 24, was charged Monday with possession of drug paraphernalia and cited for transport of wine or liquor in the passenger area at the intersection of the 300 block of South Main and East Horah streets.
Contact reporter Shavonne Potts at 704-797-4253.
Dryer sheets did not disguise the smell of a large quantity of high-grade marijuana found Tuesday afternoon following a traffic... read more