Freshmen White, Elmore playing well in college
Area athletes update …
Charlotte’s Michaela White (Carson) had 4 kills (with no errors), 13 assists and four digs in a 3-1 loss at Southern Miss on Friday.
• Brevard’s Hannah Elmore (Carson) had 15 kills and seven digs in a 3-2 loss to Mars Hill on Friday.
Elmore had six kills in a 3-0 loss to Tusculum.
Elmore has 94 kills for the season.
• Averett setter Nicole Barringer (South Rowan) was busy over the weekend as the Cougars played doubleheaders Friday and Saturday. She had 118 assists and 31 digs in the four matches. Averett won against Bridgewater but lost to Covenant, Maryville and Lynchburg.
Barringer leads USA South in assists per set and is fourth in aces per set.
Averett’s Lynsey Corriher (South Rowan) had two kills in last week’s win against Greensboro.
• Emma Pope (South Rowan) had six digs for Lenoir-Rhyne in a 3-0 loss to Tusculum.
• Hollins’ Lela Moore (West Rowan) had 17 assists and five kills in a loss to Virginia Wesleyan on Friday.
• Aimee Cloninger (Carson) and Tiffany Brooks (South Rowan) helped Catawba Valley Community College go 3-1 in a weekend tournament. Cloninger had 37 kills and 54 digs. Brooks had 15 kills and three blocks.
The Redhawks are 23-6 overall and 10-0 in league play.
Roy Dixon (Salisbury) and his UNC Greensboro teammates played Monday (two rounds) in the Wolfpack Intercollegiate at the Lonnie Poole Golf Course at N.C. State.
Dixon shot 72-68 — 140 and is 2-under. He’s tied for fifth place going into the final round.
Dixon made three birdies and no bogeys for his 68.
UNC Greensboro is in fourth place, seven shots behind leader N.C. State.
Andrew Purcell (Carson) is competing for USC Upstate in the Wolfpack Intercollegiate. Purcell shot 79-85 — 164 on Monday.
• Madison Kennedy (Salisbury) shot 78 for Catawba in Monday’s first round of the women’s Myrtle Beach Invitational. Catawba is 10th out of 20 teams.
Georgia Southern’s Rebecca Parker (West Rowan) ran a season-best 21:50 in Saturday’s JSU Foothills Invitational in Oxford, Ala.
• Carson-Newman’s Tori Gaul (East Rowan) ran 20:29 in Saturday’s Greater Louisville Cross Country Classic and was the top runner for the Eagles.
After starting 33rd, Justin Allison (West Rowan) avoided chaos and drove to a ninth-place finish in the ARCA 98.9 at Kansas Speedway on Friday, the final ARCA Racing Series event of the season.
This was Allison’s seventh top-10 finish.
Allison was making his debut as the driver for Justin Allison Racing.
• Kannapolis’ Jake Ruggles, the 13-year-old Allison Legacy Race Series Rookie of the Year for 2013, will be at the Concord Buffalo Wild Wings on Thursday, Oct. 9, to sign autographs and meet with race fans. Buffalo Wild Wings will donate 10 percent of its customers’ dinner bills to Susan G. Komen Charlotte.
CVCC catcher Bryson Prugh (Carson) went 1-for-2, drove in a run and threw out a baserunner on Sunday.