Area athletes: Parks scores two TDs in Virginia victory
Published 12:00 am Monday, September 29, 2014
Area college football update …
Virginia’s K.P. Parks scored twice as Virginia (3-2) rolled 45-13 against Kent State on Saturday.
Parks visited the end zone on a 4-yard run in the third quarter and on an 11-yard pass play in the fourth quarter. He finished with 61 rushing yards on 12 carries and had four receptions for 43.
Parks has 30 TDs in his college career. The senior is on the Doak Walker Award Watch List (the award for the nation’s top running back) and the College Football Performance Awards Running Back of the Year Watch List,
Keeon Johnson (A.L. Brown) had a 19-yard reception for the Cavaliers.
• Khalif Phillips (A.L. Brown) continues to excel for Charlotte. In a 47-41 overtime loss to Charleston Southern, the sophomore rushed 21 times for 196 yards and two TDs. The sophomore had a 34-yard TD run late in the game that got the 49ers into overtime. Phillips had a 77-yard TD run in the second quarter.
Phillips set a Charlotte record for most rushing yards in a game and the 77-yard run was the longest in school history.
Phillips had a seven-TD outing his senior year at A.L. Brown in a playoff game against Hickory Ridge.
• Defensive lineman Javon Hargrave (North Rowan) turned in another fine game for South Carolina State in a 17-10 win against Hampton on Saturday.
Hagrave made five tackles, three for loss, and had a 7-yard sack.
• Romar Morris (Salisbury) had a quiet day as UNC lost 50-35 to Clemson. Morris netted only 2 yards on five carries. He also caught four short passes, one for 8 yards. He returned two kickoffs for a total of 42 yards,
Damien Washington (A.L. Brown) made a tackle on punt coverage for the Tar Heels.
• Keion Adams (Salisbury) had three tackles for Western Michigan, one for loss, in a 35-17 setback at Virginia Tech.
• Shaun Warren (Carson) rushed five times for 13 yards in Western Carolina’s 35-17 win at Furman.
• Gerald Holt (A.L. Brown) made a tackle for Liberty in a 38-19 loss to Indiana State.
• Hunter Morris (A.L. Brown) played in The Citadel’s win on Saturday against Gardner-Webb, and Michael Church (A.L. Brown) saw action in Coastal Carolina’s win against Elon. Tyler L’Hommedieu (East Rowan) played in Army’s season opener against Buffalo. Domonique Noble (West Rowan) has played in all three of Georgia Tech’s games.
After missing last week’s game, John Knox (Salisbury) tossed two TD passes as Charleston beat Notre Dame — the one in Ohio, not the one in South Bend, Indiana — 28-14.
Knox threw for 135 yards and rushed for 33 for the Golden Eagles (4-0). Charleston has a showdown coming up with Shepherd.
• Mark McDaniel (South Rowan) had one of the loudest hits of the game in Catawba’s 35-33 loss to Carson-Newman, The cornerback made two solo tackles and had two pass breakups.
Jamal Lackey (Davie) had a team-high 13 tackles, including one for loss.
Trey Mashore (West Rowan) had five carries for 22 yards and caught two passes for 25 yards for the Indians. Mashore returned five kickoffs for 98 yards, including one for 37.
Donte Means (East) ran back a kickoff 17 yards for the Indians. Shawn Galloway (East Rowan) and Tim Pangburn (West Rowan) saw action for the Indians.
• Limestone’s Logan Stoodley (West Rowan) made four tackles and forced a fumble in a 67-14 loss to Alderson-Broaddus.
• Cadarreus Mason (South Rowan) made two tackles for UNC Pembroke in a 21-3 loss to Wingate.
Bubba McLaughlin (West Rowan) saw action for Wingate.
• Garrett Nestor (Davie) boomed two punts against North Greenville Saturday, one of 50 yards and one of 45.
• In a 27-26 loss to Virginia Union, Erik Amaya (A.L. Brown) kicked a field goal J.C. Smith, while James Lott IV (A.L. Brown) made two tackles. The Golden Bulls lost the CIAA game on a long pass with less than a second left.
• Freshman Calvin Edwards (East Rowan) rushed four times for 8 yards as Lenoir-Rhyne pounded Tusculum 47-19. L-R’s standout fullback Ike Whitaker (Salisbury) is still out with an injury suffered in the opener.
• Quentin Sifford (West Rowan) made two tackles for West Liberty in a 61-24 loss to Concord.
Averett lost 30-29 to LaGrange on Saturday.
Dontae Gilbert (Carson) intercepted a pass and returned it 29 yards for the Cougars.
Hobie Proctor (West Rowan) kicked three PATs, averaged 55 yards on five kickoffs, and averaged 47.7 yards on three punts.
• More college sports updates will be in Tuesday’s edition.