Taylor, Sheehan honored by SAC
Catawba’s Jason Taylor earned SAC Defensive Player of the Week honors for his 16 tackles in the 37-34 two-OT win at Newberry on Saturday.
Taylor, a senior linebacker, leads the SAC with 29 tackles in three games.
Catawba quarterback Mike Sheehan was named SAC Offensive Player of the Week for the second time this season. He was 15-for-26 passing for 241 yards at Newberry and added a 23-yard scoring run. Sheehan leads the SAC with a 64-percent completion percentage.
• Carson-Newman’s Ken Sparks got his 320th head-coaching win when the Eagles beat Brevard on Saturday. Sparks passed Pop Warner for sixth on the all-time list and is three behind Bear Bryant. Carson-Newman plays at Catawba this Saturday at 1:30 p.m.
• Lenoir-Rhyne leads Division II in rushing. The Bears had 322 rushing yards as they rolled to a SAC win Saturday at Wingate.
In the Corbin Hills men’s club Championship, Keith Dorsett shot 63-67-76 — 206 to win the Championship Flight by four shots. Ryan Honeycutt shot 64-72-74 — 210 and tied Nick Lyerly (69-68-73 — 210) for second.
In the First Flight, Alan Barefoot shot 74-78-76 — 228 to win. Randy Daugherty shot 77-77-76 — 230 for second place. In the Second Flight, Chuck Valley shot 76-80-73 — 229 to win, while Kip Honeycutt shot 83-73-74 — 230 for second. In the Third Flight, John Struzick shot 81-84-83 — 248 to win. Perry VonCanon shot 83-89-83 — 255 for second.
Bob Whitley shot 66-70-78 — 214 to win the Senior Division.
• The Pride of Salisbury IBPOEW Lodge’s 2nd annual golf tournament will be held on Saturday, Oct. 18.
A shotgun start is set for 1 p.m. at Foxwood. Check-in time is 11 a.m.
The cost is $45 per golfer or $180 for four-person teams. The cost includes 18 holes, cart, snacks and fees.
Call Mike Taylor at 704-224-9862. Registration deadline is Oct. 6.
Backup quarterback Michael Church (A.L. Brown) saw action for Coastal Carolnia Saturday and directed a drive for a field goal in a 48-3 win against Florida A&M.
After starting ninth in the ARCA ZLOOP 150 at Kentucky Speedway, Justin Allison (West Rowan) finished 100 laps, placed seventh and recorded his sixth top-10 finish.
Salisbury Academy swept doubles and won 5-4 against Knox on Monday.
Annabel Barr and Emma Nianouris won in singles fo Salisbury Academy.
Barr-Ellen Simons, Nianouris-Virginia Moy Robertson and Madelynn Castor-Emma Shelby won in doubles.
Winners for Knox were Skye Mowery, Laura Bullock (tiebreaker), Anna Grace Woolly and Quinnlan Watson.
Knox will host Erwin on Tuesday.
Next up for Salisbury Academy is Sacred Heart on Wednesday at 4 p.m. at City Park.
The 10U Carolina Starz from Kannapolis won the Annual Battle of the Bats Tournament sponsored by Top Gun Softball.
The Sacred Heart jayvee volleyball team won 2-1 aganst St. Leo but lost 25-22 and 28-26 to Salisury Academy.
• Sacred Heart’s soccer team beat Park Ridge Christian 9-3. Luke Holland scored four goals, Patrick Taylor scored three, and Sean Archer and Juan Salazar scored one apiece.
• Sacred Heart soccer won 3-0 against Hickory Christian. Holland scored two goals, while Archer had one.
• Sacred Heart battled to a 4-4 tie with Salisbury Academy. Holland had a hat trick. Salazar scored one goal.
• Sacred Heart’s boys cross country team won a six-school meet at Salisbury Community Park.
Leah Cressler finished second in the girls meet. William Austin placed third in the boys meet.
East Rowan goalkeeper Kennedy Lambert has committed to Averett’s soccer program.
Salisbury kept rolling with an 8-1 CCC victory against Lexington on Monday in “The Hive.”
Landon Goodman had another hat trick for the Hornets (8-4, 2-0). Kevin Flores and Andrew Kalogeromitros had two goals each, and Jared Ramirez scored his first varsity goal to finish the scoring.
Kalogeromitros scored his first two goals of the season. Hector Salinas and Joshua Lynch had three assists each and Ahmedin Salcinovic had one.
Salisbury played without defensive ace Reilly Gokey and limited the Yellow Jackets to three shots on frame.
Salisbury has won five in a row and plays at East Rowan Tuesday at 7 p.m,
East Rowan won 22-25, 25-15, 25-20, 22-25 and 15-7 at North Rowan in non-league volleyball on Monday.
Aliyah Farmer had 11 kills for the Cavaliers. Chevy Blaire had six kills and two blocks. Brianna White had seven blocks and five kills. Ashlyn Mills had 26 assists and four blocks. Demeria Robinson led the Cavaliers’ serve-receive and defense and had no service errors on 13 serves.
East’s jayvees won 2-0.
Central Cabarrus swept doubles and beat South Rowan 5-4 in SPC tennis on Monday. Cierra Hunter, Mariah Mason, Olivia Sides and Kaitlyn McCombs won in singles for the Raiders.