Area athletes: Averett’s Gilbert makes 16 tackles
Published 12:00 am Monday, September 22, 2014
Area athletes update …
In Averett’s 40-17 loss to Maryville on Saturday, junior cornerback Dontae Gilbert (Carson) had the most tackles in a game by an Averett Cougar since 2006. He was credited with 16.
An accounting major at the D-III school in Danville, Va., Gilbert played in seven games as a freshman. He was a factor when he was healthy last season. In five games, he made 28 tackles, blocked a kick, forced two fumbles and recovered a fumble.
Gilbert made four interceptions for Carson in 2011 and three in 2010. He also returned punts and stepped in at quarterback when Zack Gragg was injured.
Gilbert broke his foot twice as a Carson sophomore, but he wound up making all-county in football and track and also contributed quite a bit of defense to Carson’s basketball team.
Gilbert isn’t big at 5-foot-10, 160 pounds, but he has plenty of speed. He had two pick-sixes for Carson his junior season.
• Hobie Proctor kicked a field goal and two PATs, averaged 55 yards on kickoffs and also handled punting duties for Averett.
• Like Gilbert, Guilford’s Adam Smith (Davie) is a slightly undersized but very talented guy, and he’s having another monster year in D-III. Smith had seven catches for 143 yards and two TDs in Saturday’s 35-27 win against Southern Virginia. Smith, who was a dynamite QB as a senior at Davie, has seven TD catches in three games.
Romar Morris (Salisbury) scored two touchdowns for UNC in Saturday’s 70-41 loss at East Carolina.
Morris had scoring runs of 7 and 14 yards. He finished with nine carries for 46 yards and had two receptions for 29 yards.
The touchdowns were the ninth and 10th of the junior’s college career.
• Damien Washington (A.L. Brown) made a tackle on a kickoff for the Tar Heels.
• Kalif Phillips (A.L. Brown) carried 24 times for 80 yards in Charlotte’s 20-13 loss at Elon.
• Javon Hargrave (North Rowan) had a fourth-quarter sack for a loss of 10 yards as South Carolina State picked up a big 17-7 win against Furman. Hargrave made six tackles.
• In a 41-33 loss at BYU, Virginia’s Kevin Parks (West Rowan) was held to 24 yards on 11 carries. Parks was more effective as a receiver with six catches for 33 yards.
• Keeon Johnson (A.L. Brown) had three catches for 21 yards for the Cavaliers, who put the ball in the air 58 times.
• Keion Adams (Salisbury) made a tackle in Western Michigan’s easy 45-14 win against Murray State in Kalamazoo.
In Catawba’s 37-34 win at Newberry in two overtimes, Trey Mashore (West Rowan) broke a 35-yard scoring run that tied the game at 14-all in the second quarter. Donte Means (East Rowan) returned three kickoffs for 48 yards. Jamal Lackey (Davie) made eight tackles, while Mark McDaniel (South Rowan) had two tackles and a pass breakup.
• Logan Stoodley (West Rowan) had a tackle and a quarterback hurry as Limestone pummeled College of Faith 45-0 for the first win in school history.
• Sheldon Saddler (A.L. Brown) started at right tackle for Shaw in a 20-17 win against UNC Pembroke.
Senior defensive lineman Cadarreus Mason (South Rowan) played well for UNC Pembroke. He had six tackles, shared a sack and had another tackle for loss.
• Ike Whitaker (Salisbury) served as a team captain for Lenoir-Rhyne in Saturday’s win aginst Wingate. Whitaker didn’t play. He was injured (“lower extremity”) in the Bears’ opener but will be back this season.
Michaela White (Carson) had 29 assists, 12 digs and three kills as the Charlotte 49ers beat Nicholls State and won a tournament in Jacksonville, Fla.
• Hannah Elmore (Carson) had six kills and four digs as Brevard swept Coker on Saturday.
• Lenoir-Rhyne’s Emma Pope (South Rowan) had 18 digs in SAC wins against Coker and Newberry.
• Averett’s Nicole Barringer (South Rowan) had 48 assists and 11 digs in a 3-2 win against Meredith and 46 assists and 19 digs in a 3-1 loss to Methodist on Saturday.
Barringer leads the USA South Conference in assists per set with 9.6.
Lynsey Corriher (South Rowan) had two kills in Averett’s sweep of Ferrum last week.
• Lela Moore (West Rowan) had 21 assists, but Hollins lost to Lynchburg on Friday. Hollins is fifth in the Old Domnion Athletic Conference with 382 assists.
Carson-Newman freshman Tori Gaul(East Rowan) ran 21:15 in the Berea Invitational on Saturday in Kentucky.
Gaul’s time led the Eagles. She was 15th overall.