10 things to know for today
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. SOME 130,000 SYRIANS REACH TURKEY, FLEEING ISLAMIC STATE GROUP
The Turkish deputy prime minister says the country is prepared for "the worst case scenario" should more refugees stream in.
2. BUSY WEEK AHEAD FOR MIDEAST DIPLOMACY
The launch of Israel-Hamas talks about a border deal for Gaza and the Palestinian president’s U.N. speech about a strategy for dealing with Israel will keep diplomats occupied.
3. RUSSIA GLAD TO KEEP UKRAINE OFF U.N. RADAR
As world leaders focus on blunting the advance of the Islamic State group and ending the Ebola epidemic, Russia is happy their attention is diverted from the Ukrainian conflict.
4. WHY OBAMA’S MIDEAST WAR STRATEGY ISN’T IN THE CLEAR YET
The president got what he wanted when Congress approved arming and training moderate Syrian rebels, but many lawmakers would like a say over the rest of the plan.
5. WHITE HOUSE INTRUDER EXPECTED TO APPEAR IN COURT
Omar J. Gonzalez faces charges of unlawfully entering a restricted building or grounds while carrying a deadly or dangerous weapon.
6. WHAT TRACKERS REPORT FINDING IN HUNT FOR AMBUSH SUSPECT
Police recover an assault rifle carried by Eric Frein, the fugitive accused of fatally shooting two Pennsylvania state troopers.
7. WHO HAS COMPLEX HISTORY OF IMMIGRATION POLICY
The son of a Kenyan immigrant, Obama over time has been embraced and scorned by immigrant advocates.
8. AFFLUENCE ELUDES POOR CROWDING INTO ASIAN CITIES
From India to Indonesia, Myanmar and the Philippines, overcrowded urban centers have become studies in extremes of deprivation and wealth.
9. NASA’S MAVEN EXPLORER ARRIVES AT MARS
Now the real work begins for the $671 million mission, the first dedicated to studying the upper atmosphere of the red planet.
10. CUBAN BASEBALL OPENING RUNS INTO TROUBLE
The country’s unprecedented effort to stop a talent drain doesn’t seem to be working, with a string of stars leaving for major overseas leagues.
Prior to the mid-1950s Rockwell had one fire department that responded to the eastern part of Rowan County, but it... read more