Fight among neighbors leads to hospital visit
Authorities issued citations to four people after a Tuesday fight amongst neighbors ended with one man being taken to the hospital.
A deputy with the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office arrived at the intersection of Redhaven Drive and Peach Orchard Lane to see a large group of people standing in the roadway.
One man, Dagoberto Contreras, 35, of the 1000 block of Redhaven Drive, said he was walking through the neighborhood with his nephew, Edward Orellana, 16, and his daughter, “minding his own business,” when he was hit with a baseball bat.
According to Eberardo Ortiz, 43, of the 500 block of Peach Orchard Lane, he was working on his truck when Contreras said something about Ortiz’s dog and “began picking a fight with him,” a report said.
A fight ensued between the two men. The nephew, Edward Orellana, came to the aid of his uncle, and Alejandra Hernandez Nunez, 39, also of the 500 block of Peach Orchard Lane, came to the aid of her husband, Eberardo Ortiz.
Contreras said he believed he was hit with a baseball bat; however, it was later determined he had a limb that he took from a nearby tree. Ortiz took the limb from Contreras during the fight.
Contreras was taken to the hospital as a precaution because he had swelling to his jaw and the deputy wanted to make sure it was not broken, a report said.
Orellana had scratches on his arm. No other serious injuries were reported. All those involved were issued citations for simple affray.
In other sheriff’s reports:
• A man reported Tuesday his home was broken into in the 1000 block of 22nd Street, Kannapolis.
• A man reported Tuesday someone stole a gun out of his vehicle sometime between Sunday and Tuesday in the 3200 block of Deal Road, Mooresville.
• A woman reported a breaking and entering in the 1100 block of Leonard Road.
• A man reported Tuesday a trailer was stolen in the 800 block of Julian Road.
• A man reported Tuesday a larceny in the 6300 block of U.S. 601.
• A man reported Tuesday items were taken from the 1000 block of Ebenezer Road, Kannapolis.
• A man reported Tuesday someone cut the wires to his Dish Network satellite in the 200 block of Large Avenue, Rockwell.
• Robert Keith Moore, 65, was charged Tuesday with misdemeanor possession of a controlled substance schedule VI in the 2800 block of Leonard Road.
• Terry Wayne Kelly, 21, was charged Tuesday with misdemeanor larceny in the 200 block of Upper Overcash Avenue, China Grove.
• John Derek Moore, 47, was charged Tuesday with misdemeanor possession of a controlled substance schedule VI at the Rowan County courthouse.
In Salisbury Police reports:
• A motorcycle was reported Wednesday stolen from the 600 block of East Bank Street.
• Tractor Supply reported Wednesday a burglary in the 400 block of South Jake Alexander Boulevard.
• A woman reported Wednesday a larceny from her vehicle in the 400 block of Ackert Avenue.
• Faith Realty Inc. reported Wednesday a vandalism in the 800 block of West Horah Street.
Contact reporter Shavonne Potts at 704-797-4253.