Spencer board to consider property purchase
SPENCER — Spencer town staff will recommend that the town board respectfully pass on an offer to buy a lot on 7th Street for possible expansion of the 8th Street Ballpark.
The Spencer Board of Aldermen meet at 7 p.m. today at Town Hall.
Eric Marsh, the son and executor of the estate of Robert “Bobby” Marsh, wrote to Town Manager Larry Smith asking if the town would be interested in subdividing and purchasing the back half of a lot at 715 7th St. The tax value of the land is $20,000.
The town has considered the potential for additional property on the 8th Street side of the 8th Street Ballpark, and the town’s parks and recreation master plan consultant has confirmed that side as a potential area of interest for future park development.
But the Marsh lot juts into the opposing block, which is residential. It would require survey, appraisal and subdivision costs, and the elevation is above street level, which would further increase the cost of developing the land for use with the park, staff said.
Also on today’s agenda:
• Aldermen will consider changing town code to give property owners who have yards with weeds or other noxious vegetation more than 8 inches high 10 days to mow, as opposed to 15 days, once they are notified of the code violation. Town staff said waiting 15 days to mow allows an already unsightly yard to get further out of hand and makes it hard for employees to abate, if needed.
• Jason Walser with the LandTrust for Central North Carolina will attend the meeting to address any questions aldermen have about the proposal to use goats on town property to control kudzu at a future entrance to Spencer Woods.
• Jon Palmer will update the town board on Small Town Main Street activities.
• Aldermen will receive a $36,000 N.C. DOT Bicycle and Pedestrian Planning Grant, which Spencer won jointly with the town of East Spencer. Mayor Jody Everhart will appoint someone to serve on the steering committee for the grant. The local match for the grant was $4,000.
• The board will consider setting an Aug. 19 work session for the future stormwater utility project, as well as dates for two work sessions on housing strategies.
• Smith will give the town manager’s report.
• The board will take public comment on any subject.
Contact reporter Emily Ford at 704-797-4264.
SPENCER — Snakes and rats and woodchucks, oh my. Two business owners in Spencer say they like the idea of... read more