‘Quick, unplanned turn’ at checkpoint leads to meth charges
A man was charged with possession of meth after he was stopped at a checkpoint Thursday night.
When Benjamin Shane Rogers, 49, saw the checkpoint, he made a “quick, unplanned turn” into a warehouse parking lot, according to Capt. Melonie Thompson with the Salisbury Police Department.
He then tried to avoid the checkpoint, but was pulled over.
The officer who pulled him over felt Rogers was trying to conceal something when he pulled his registration out of the glove box.
Rogers consented to a search, and a clear bag with a rock-like substance was found. The substance was tested and proved to be meth. Officers also found a straw, lighter, purple glass smoking pipe and more than $700 in cash.
Rogers was charged with possession of a Schedule I drug and possession of drug paraphernalia. He was taken to the Rowan County Detention Center and held on a bond of $25,000.
The Salisbury Police Department held a checkpoint at North Long and Short streets along the Salisbury city limits in conjunction with the Department of Transportation, East Spencer Police Department and Rowan County Sheriff’s Office.
A total of 39 charges were made, including outstanding warrants, failure to carry a driver’s license, driving with a revoked license and seatbelt infractions.
In other Salisbury Police reports:
• A woman reported the theft of the tag off her car in the 200 block of S. Martin Luther King Jr. Ave. in Salisbury between 2:30 p.m. Monday and 7:27 a.m. Tuesday.
• A woman reported her license plate was stolen Tuesday from the 200 block of West Fisher St. in Salisbury.
• A woman reported being assaulted with a dangerous weapon and robbed in the 700 block of Wilson Road.
• A man reported vandalism in the 1400 block of S. Main St. in Salisbury between noon on July 16 and 5 p.m. Tuesday.
• A man reported a theft in the 300 block of Bendix Dr. in Salisbury between 11 p.m. Monday and 10:19 p.m. Tuesday.
• A woman reported a theft in the 700 block of South Main Street between 2 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. Tuesday.
• A woman reported a motor vehicle theft in the 800 block of Ivy St. in Salisbury on Tuesday.
• Andre Louis Biggers, 40, was charged with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia in the 1400 block of W. Horah St. in Salisbury.
• Katherine Elizabeth Glover, 25, was charged with possession of drug paraphernalia in the 1800 block of Chantilly Lane in Salisbury on Wednesday.
• A woman reported a breaking and entering in the 200 block of W. 11th St. in Salisbury between 3 a.m. and 6:16 Wednesday.
• A woman reported that 30 morphine pills were stolen from her purse in her business in the 100 block of N. Main St. at 9:47 a.m. Wednesday.
• Alexander Thomas Palmore was charged with resisting, delaying or obstructing a public officer Wednesday in the 2200 block of Statesville Blvd. on Wednesday.
• The McDonald’s at 601 W. Jake Alexander Blvd. reported the use of counterfeit money between noon and 12:15 p.m. Wednesday.
• A man reported someone took the license plate off his vehicle in the 300 block of S. Arlington St. in Salisbury between 8 and 9:30 a.m. Wednesday
• A man reported he was assaulted in the 400 block of W. Franklin St. in Salisbury between 4:41 and 4:51 p.m. Wednesday.
• A man reported a scooter was taken from the 400 block of W. 15th St. in Salisbury between 8:30 p.m. Tuesday and 5:45 p.m. Wednesday.
• A woman reported vandalism in the 300 block of Oak Brook Dr. in Salisbury between 10 p.m. Tuesday and 8:45 a.m. Wednesday.
• A man reported a theft in the 1300 block of W. Horah St. Wednesday between 9 a.m. and 12 p.m.
A man reported his bicycle was stolen from the 200 block of W. D Ave in Salisbury between 8:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. Wednesday.
• Theresa Lee Shaver, 60, was charged with simple assault in the 100 block of E. Kerr St. in Salisbury Wednesday.
• Wendy Shaver, 33, was charged with disturbing the peace in the 300 block of Mahaley Ave. in Salisbury on Thursday.
• A man reported a burglary at his residence in the 300 block of S. Merritt Ave. in Salisbury between 3 p.m. July 16 and 1:50 a.m. Thursday.
• Chantia Nicole Smith, 39, was charged with possession of stolen goods at the 900 block of Brenner Avenue and West Monroe Street in Salisbury Wednesday.
• Stephanie Michelle Williams, 27, was charged with robbery with firearms or other dangerous weapons in the 300 block of N. Main St. in Salisbury Wednesday.
• A man reported property damage in the 800 block of Bringle Ferry Rd. in Salisbury Tuesday.
• Michael Edward Mcgaffney, 53, was charged with being a fugitive from justice in the 500 Bringle Ferry Rd. in Salisbury.
In sheriff’s reports:
• A man reported a burglary in the 1300 block of Julian Rd. between 9:30 p.m. Saturday and 11:30 a.m. Monday.
• A woman reported the theft of the 2015 license tag sticker off her vehicle tag in the 700 block of Lippard Rd between 6 p.m. on July 2 and 8:29 a.m. Wednesday.
• Anne/Roland Furniture, in the 4000 block of Statesville Blvd. in Salisbury, reported a theft between July 18 at 8:15 a.m. and Tuesday at 2 p.m.
• A man reported the theft of a chainsaw from a building in the 400 block of Carlton Ridge Rd. in China Grove between July 9 at noon and 3:13 p.m. Wednesday.
• A man in the 2000 block of Sherwood St. in Kannapolis reported someone stole numerous guns from his residence after breaking and entering. The theft occurred sometime between June 14 at 2:20 p.m. and July 15 at 11 a.m.
• A man reported his Playstation 3 was stolen from his residence in the 6600 block of Flint Ridge Rd in Kannapolis between 9 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. Wednesday.
• Charles Calvin Barber, 50, was charged with possession with intent to manufacture a controlled substance (Schedule VI) in the 200 block of Mitchell Ave. in East Spencer.
• Clayton Travis Brown, 28, was charged with misdemeanor of assault of a female.