The week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. As part of a project for Sole Hope, whose U.S. headquarters are now in Salisbury, members of St. Peter’s Lutheran Church recently gathered to cut denim fabric and old jeans to provide shoes for children in what country?
2. Filing opened Friday for four positions on the Rowan-Salisbury Board of Education. How much does a candidate have to pay to file for the school board?
A. One quarter of a member’s annual salary
3. A crew from MGM-Warner Bros. recently filmed Fourth of July scenes in Faith, using 150 Rowan Countians as extras. What actors star in this movie titled “Max”?
A. Ryan Gosling, Heather Graham and Dakota Fanning
B. Ray Liotta, Jennifer Coolidge and Heather Locklear
C. Thomas Haden Church, Lauren Graham and Josh Wiggins
D. Amy Poehler, Ed Begley Jr. and Fred Willard
4. How much will Kannapolis’ new 106,000-square-foot city hall cost, when furniture, fixtures and equipment are figured in?
A. $5.9 million
B. $11.9 million
C. $17.9 million
D. $32.9 million
5. Of Rowan County’s 10 municipalities, which one has the lowest property tax rate?
A. East Spencer
C. Granite Quarry
6. Which Rowan County municipality has the highest property tax rate?
A. East Spencer
7. Why will Elizabeth Safrit of Kannapolis be going to London in December?
A. To compete, as Miss United States, in the Miss World pageant
B. To meet Queen Elizabeth as part of a delegation from the N.C. Research Campus in Kannapolis
C. To begin training toward becoming one of the first women guards at Buckingham Palace
D. To begin filming a documentary on the life of Charles Dickens
8. Salisbury signs, buildings and other structures have been victimized recently by many instances of sticker graffiti, which is also known in slang terms as what?
9. Who won last Tuesday’s Democratic runoff for the 5th Congressional District in North Carolina and will face incumbent U.S. Rep. Virginia Foxx, R-N.C., in the November election?
A. Gardenia Henley
B. Matt Newton
C. Greg Dority
D. Josh Brannon
10. What’s happening every second and third Thursday in downtown Salisbury through Oct. 16.
A. Ghost tours through the Salisbury Depot
B. “Movies at the Mural”
C. Free concerts at the Bell Tower
D. The Salisbury High Jazz Band plays at Robertson Gateway Park
When I went to bed last night, I had a plan for today. But after a good night’s sleep, I... read more