Officials: Concord man charged with felony marijuana possession
Published 12:00 am Wednesday, July 16, 2014
Authorities charged a Concord man with felony marijuana possession after he was stopped for speeding in China Grove.
The Rowan County Sheriff’s Office charged Joseph Scott Gardner, 26, of the 400 block of First Turn Court, with felony possession of a controlled substance with intent to manufacture a schedule VI. Officials stopped the vehicle Gardner was driving as he was traveling in the opposite direction going 52 mph in a 35 mph zone on Shue Road, a report said.
The deputy noted Gardner seemed very nervous and shaky when he handed over his driver’s license. Gardner told the deputy he borrowed the car.
The deputy said he smelled marijuana and searched the glove compartment, back seat and finally the trunk.
The deputy found a brick of marijuana, weighing nearly five and a half pounds, lying in a plastic bag inside the trunk. Gardner admitted the marijuana belonged to him.
When the deputy started to weigh the marijuana while back at the sheriff’s office, Gardner told him to “divide the grams by 448.” He then told the deputy he “did this (expletive) for a living. I know my weights.”
He was issued a $1,000 secured bond and has since been released from the Rowan County Detention Center.
In other sheriff’s reports:
• A woman reported Friday damage to a vehicle in the 2400 block of St. Lukes Church Road.
• A man reported Friday an assault by his ex-wife and her boyfriend during an altercation in the 100 block of Wakefield Drive.
• A man reported Saturday someone stole guns and money from his home in the 500 block of Pethel Road, China Grove.
• A woman reported Saturday a physical assault in the 4500 block of Long Ferry Road.
• Pearl’s Pawn & Gun reported Saturday a fraud in the 1500 block of North Main Street, China Grove.
• A woman reported Sunday a burglary occurred in the 3600 block of U.S. 601.
• A woman reported Sunday a breaking and entering occurred in the 14900 block of Stokes Ferry Road.
• A man reported Sunday a breaking and entering occurred in the 800 block of Liberty Road.
• A woman reported Sunday someone stole her bank cards in the 300 block of Leach Road.
• David Lee Jenkins, 27, was charged Saturday with misdemeanor resist, obstruct, delay an officer and Steven Gregory Jenkins, 32, was charged with misdemeanor disorderly conduct, both in the 1000 block of Stirewalt Road, China Grove.
• Jason Paul Bowyer, 35, was charged Sunday with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia.
In police reports:
• A man reported Monday credit card fraud occurred July 8 on Shives Street.
• A teen reported Monday a knife assault took place at the 500 block of Lincolnton Road.
• Ruftys Garden Center reported Monday a larceny occurred in the 1300 block of West Innes Street.
• Salisbury Motor Company reported Monday a larceny in the 700 block of West Innes Street.
• Dorset Chapel United Church of Christ reported Monday fraudulent checks were cashed sometime between May 30 and July 7 in the 400 block of North Main Street.
• A woman reported Monday a vandalism occurred in the 1400 block of Devonmore Place.
• A man reported Monday a break-in occurred in the 300 block of Oakwood Avenue.
Contact reporter Shavonne Potts at 704-797-4253.