Hardman qualifies for event Amateur
Published 12:00 am Wednesday, July 9, 2014
Catawba’s Matt Hardman, a rising senior, has qualified for the United States Amateur Championship. Another rising senior at Catawba, Zach Griffis has advanced to the North Carolina Match Play Championship.
Hardman qualified for the U.S. Amateur in a playoff for the final spot at the Country Club of Harrisburg, Pa. He was able to make a par on the third playoff hole to advance. He shot rounds of 68 and 78 to get into the playoff.
The 2014 US Amateur will be held from August 11-17 at the Atlanta Athletic Club. Griffis carded a 76 at the Forest Oaks Country Club to qualify for the NC Match Play Championship. It will be held from July 30 to Aug. 3 at the River Landing Country Club in Wallace.
• Salisbury graduate Eric Edwards shot 68-76 — 144 and finished 4-over at Monroe Country Club in attempting to qualify at a sectional for the U.S. Amateur. Edwards was tied for second after the first round.
• East Rowan’s Logan Shuping finished fifth overall in the Sedgefield Junior Amateur, a Tarheel Junior Golf event.Shuping shot 70-77 — 147 and tied for second in his age group.
Shuping shot 70 for the first-round lead on Monday.
• The McCanless Couples played a Captain’s Choice Sunday.
The first-place team was Mary Seaford, Gene Seaford and Jacob Durham. Closest to the pin was won by Frank Foster. Gene Seaford won longest putt.
• On Tuesday, the Captain’s Choice team of Ruth Bowles, Louise Collins, Monica Green and Karla Swanson won the Corbin Hills Women’s Golf Association event.
Kannapolis belted four homers and routed Greensboro 12-2 on the road on Tuesday.
Jacob Morris, Carl Thomore, Danny Hayes and Adam Engel connected.
• Whit Merrifield (Davie) homered for Omaha on Sunday and had a triple and double on Monday.
Merrifield is batting .600 in his last 10 games and has batted .384 in 28 games since being moved up to Triple A by Kansas City.
• Corey Seager (NW Cabarrus) exploded again for Rancho Cucamonga late Sunday night. He had four hits, including two homers, and drove in six runs. He had two doubles on Monday.
Seager is batting .354 with 17 homers, 33 doubles and 66 RBIs in 77 games.
Brian Bauk (Salisbury, App. State) had three hits Saturday and is batting .278 for the Brockton Rox of the Futures League.
• Connor Bridges (Carson, App. State) is batting .333 for the Rowan Patriots of the All American Collegiate Baseball League.
• Eric Tyler (South Rowan, ECU) is batting .273 with five doubles and six RBIs for the Lake Norman Copperheads of the Southern Collegiate Baseball League.
• T.J. Wharton (Catawba) is batting .322 with three homers and 13 RBIs for the Kernersville Bulldogs of the Virginia-Carolina League.
Carson’s Michael Morrison went 11-for-13 over the weekend at Wake Forest for the Charlotte MegaStars.
Morrison, a rising junior outfielder, had four triples and two doubles.
Davie’s Abby Daniels, Morgan Hendrix, Sarah Myers and K’Lea Parks were named to the 4A All-State team.
Davie’s Makenzie Smith joined those four players on the all-distric team.