Miss Rowan County Veteran competition on July 4
FAITH — The Miss Rowan County Veteran competition is held in conjunction with Faith 4th of July activities. The contestants will ride in the 10 a.m. parade on Friday, July 4.
The crowning will take place on the bandstand in Legion Park following the parade. Buddy Poole will be the master of ceremonies.
There are 12 contestants listed below:
• Brooklyn KaRhon Alexander represents J.C. Price American Legion Post 107. A resident of Cleveland, she is the daughter of Lorna Kelly and Joseph Alexander. She is a rising senior at West Rowan High School. She was in the Junior National Honor Society and received the Queen Latifah Award. She is also involved in the Diamond Princess Club, student council, and attends Dorsett Chapel Church in Spencer. She wants to work with children and people to help them feel loved and respected at all times.
• Aunika Sky Allen, representing the General Alan Hal Turnage Detachment No, 1096 Marine Corps League, is the daughter of Brandy Allen. A sophomore at Rowan Early College, she will earn a diploma and an associate degree in the financial field. She has been in Girl Scouts for the last 10 years and has volunteered with Toys for Tots, also representing them in parades. She has been a beauty queen at the Cleveland Christmas parade for four years. She also helps with bingo at the Hefner VA Medical Center. She laid a wreath on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington National Cemetery for the Marine Corps League in 2013.
• Madison Alexandra Brewer represents Freeze-Seymour American Legion Post 185. A junior at South Rowan, she is the daughter of Shelly Gynn and Todd Brewer of China Grove. She is involved in track and tennis and attends Rowan-Cabarrus Community College’s cosmetology program. She will graduate from RCCC and high school at the same time. She is a member of FFA and Grace Bible Church Youth Group.
• Schrade Ochland Daniel, representing AMVETS Post 845 n Rockwell, is the daughter of William and Starla Daniel of Gold Hill. A rising junior at East Rowan High, she plays softball there and is on the swim team. She also plays with Rowan Rage Softball. She plans to study environmental engineering at N.C. State University. She is a member of FFA and Stallings Memorial Baptist Church, where she helps with meals for veterans. She has gone on a mission trip to Beaufort, S.C., and ran in a 5K to raise awareness about brain cancer.
• Greyson Kylie Harvey represents Harold B. Jarrett Post 342. The daughter of Robert and Nicole Harvey, she is a graduate of East Rowan High School, where she was involved in soccer, cheerleading and track. She has earned a scholarship for Aveda Institute of Charlotte. She was Post 342 queen. She interned for April Lambert and has represented her class at homecoming, participated in Miss Holiday Caravan and modeled for Carolina Weddings.
• Micah Victoria Helms represents Landis American Legion Post 146. The daughter of Eric and Kim Helms of China Grove, she is a rising junior at South Rowan High School, where she participates in varsity softball, swimming and track. She is in the top 10 of her class. She plans to become a nurse. She was in SCA, FFA, HOSA, was vice president of the Rotary Club and took part in Relay for Life. She has worked at the homeless shelter, visited veterans and prepared retired flags for disposal. She attends Franklin Baptist church and is in the youth group.
• Amanda Nicole McClure represents VanHoy-Sells VFW 9134 in Rockwell. She graduated from Pfeiffer University with a degree in psychology and plans to go to graduate school for counseling. She is the daughter of Sharon Moore and Ron McClure. She has volunteered at the Hefner VA Medical Center and loves animals and her church family.
• Drew Adams Pethel, representing Peeler-Livengood-Wood Post 448, is the daughter of Branson and Carmen Pethel of Salisbury. She is a 2014 graduate of East Rowan High School and plans to attend UNC-Wilmington to study accounting. She is the recipient of numerous scholarships, honors and awards. She was active with FBLA and attended Tar Heel Girls State and the Broyhill Leadership Conference. She lettered in tennis all four years and won several championships. She is a member of student council, National Honor Society, Spanish Club, Sigma Phi Gamma, Junior Civitan and Christiana Lutheran Church Youth Group and Altar Guild. She has been involved in Rowan Helping Ministries, Crisis Assistance and Build-a-Backpack, among other community service groups.
• Devan Louise Purvis represents Disabled American Vets Chapter 96. She is the daughter of Neal and Lynne Purvis of Spencer and a junior at Catawba College. She graduated from Carson High where she was on the cross country and track teams, receiving many medals and trophies, as she did in swimming. She was also in the marching band. She plans to graduate with a degree in administration of justice and a minor in psychology. She is an intern with the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office. In college, she continues to run cross country and play in the marching band. Her father is a 27-year veteran of the N.C. National Guard. She has participated in mission trips through group camps and is a member of Central United Methodist Church. She volunteers at the homeless shelter.
• Molly Michelle Shue represents Faith American Legion Post 327. A graduate of Carson HIgh School, she is the daughter of Tim and Alison Shue of Salisbury. She played volleyball and softball. She plans to get a degree in accounting. She visits her grandfather at the N.C. Veterans Home.
• Erin Michelle Turner represents Kennedy-Hall American Legion Post 106. She is the daughter of Todd Turner and Angie Bogle of Cleveland. She is a rising senior at West Rowan High School, where she is a member of the National Honor Society and HOSA. She wants to pursue a degree to become a nurse anesthetist. She visits the Veterans Home and helps with children’s parties at the post, as well as delivering Christmas baskets. She is active in Relay for Life and works at Subway in Cleveland.
• Alana M. Yow represents AMVETS Post 565. She is a rising junior at West Rowan High School and the daughter of Thomas and Amy Yow. She participates in cross country, softball, swimming, art and theater. She is going to Full Sail Animation School. She is in JCL, animations and Now clubs.