Police: Man accused of forging, cashing check in 2011 arrested, charged
Published 12:00 am Tuesday, June 24, 2014
Police were able to catch up to a man accused of forging and cashing a check more than three years ago at a local credit union. Authorities were able to serve arrest warrants on the Salisbury man at his North Main Street home.
Salisbury Police charged Franklin Dean Swink, 49, of the 1400 block of North Main Street, with uttering a forged instrument and obtaining property by false pretenses, both are felonies. He was charged and warrants served Friday night.
Police Capt. Shelia Lingle said officials with First Legacy Community Credit Union on Statesville Boulevard said Swink and a woman cashed the check at the bank because both of them had an account with the bank.
The two went to the bank April 25, 2011 with a check for $2,850 written to Swink. The account was validated, Lingle said, and the two returned April 28 to pick up the money.
The check was stolen from a man, who has since been able to recover $1,800, she said.
Swink was issued a $3,000 secured bond and has since been released from the Rowan County Detention Center.
In other police reports:
• A woman reported Friday a physical assault in the 1100 block of South Main Street.
• A man reported Friday a larceny from a vehicle in the 1000 block of Celebration Drive.
• A woman reported Friday a vandalism to a vehicle occurred in the 700 block of East Innes Street.
• A woman reported Friday an assault occurred in the 600 block of South Craige Street.
• A man reported Friday someone threw a rock and broke his windshield on his Cadillac in the 1600 block of Colony Road and Mahaley Avenue.
• A man reported Saturday an assault in the 1000 block of East Innes Street.
• A woman reported Saturday a larceny of a vehicle registration plate occurred sometime between March 26 and Saturday in the 500 block of Mahaley Avenue.
• A woman reported Saturday a larceny in the 300 block of Faith Road.
• A clerk at Rushco #4 reported Saturday someone tried to use a counterfeit bill in the store located in the 1900 block of West Innes Street.
• A man reported Sunday an assault occurred in the 30 block of Kesler Street.
• A man reported Sunday a larceny in the 600 block of West Liberty Street.
• A woman reported Sunday a breaking and entering occurred sometime between Thursday and Sunday in the 1600 block of Standish Street.
• A woman reported Sunday a breaking and entering occurred sometime between Friday and Sunday in the 700 block of Mack Street.
• Tobin Miller, 43, was charged Friday with misdemeanor larceny in the 1200 block of West Horah Street.
• Anthony Litaker, 28, was charged Saturday with misdemeanor assault on a female in the 400 block of Laurel Pointe Circle.
In sheriff’s reports:
• A man reported Thursday a burglary in the 100 block of Haven Trail, China Grove.
• A man reported Thursday someone removed items from his unlocked vehicle while it was parked in his driveway in the 3400 block of West Innes Street.
• A man reported Thursday a burglary in the 300 block of Paige Drive.
• A man reported Thursday his firearm was taken from his home on June 14 in the 200 block of Knoll View Drive.
• A woman reported Thursday a burglary occurred in t he 400 block of Gaddy Street, Kannapolis.
• Tracy Lynn Paolino, 45, and Billy Edward Phifer, 43, were both charged Thursday with misdemeanor resist, delay, obstruct an officer in the 1400 block of Meadowcreek Drive, China Grove.
• Melanie Dawn Laws Knox, 47, was charged Thursday with misdemeanor solid waste ordinance violation in the 100 block of Wood Lake Drive.
• Katrina Lynn Quinby, 34, was charged Thursday with misdemeanor simple assault at the Rowan County Magistrate’s Office.
Contact reporter Shavonne Potts at 704-797-4253.