Note from the guy who compiled this quiz: Since I ruined Mother’s Day, I figured it was only fair to do the same to Father’s Day. Dear old dad, pop, father, whatever you call him, make him feel special today. But first, let’s have a little fun. As always, if any of the answers here are wrong, blame the internet. That’s what I do. — Scott Jenkins
1. The first Fathers Day was in:
2. Who is superman’s biological father?
c. Cal Ripken
d. Marlon Brando
3. Speaking of Marlon Brando, which famous father did he portray?
a. Father Time
b. Father Christmas
c. The Godfather
d. Father Guido Sarducci
4. Who is known as “The Father of Our Country?”
a. George Washington
b. Washington Irving
c. Freddie “Boom Boom” Washington from “Welcome Back Kotter”
d. That reality show guy with 19 kids and counting
5. Finish this phrase: “Father knows …”
b. Better than to contradict mother
d. What you did last summer
6. What is the official flower of Fathers Day?
7. The movie “Father Goose” starred:
a. Cary Grant
b. Hugh Grant
c. Lou Grant
d. Ulysses S. Grant
8. Dad’s Root Beer was the first soda to do what?
a. Come in a six-pack
b. Come in a root beer float
c. Use real beer in its formula
d. Come in a keg
9. The Mamas & the Papas sang what?
a. “California Dreamin’”
b. “Hotel California”
c. “California Girls”
d. “Going Back to Cali”
10. Dad’s favorite Father’s Day gift is:
a. A necktie
c. A $15,000 Kalamazoo K750HT Hybrid Fire Freestanding Grill with three cast-brass primary burners, a 33-by-22-inch primary grilling surface, a rotisserie system and a flip-up warming rack
d. Whatever you give him this year
11. Little Orphan Annie’s benefactor was:
a. Daddy Warbucks
b. Daddy Morebucks
c. Daddy War Bonds
d. Daddy Downtown Dollars
12. Which of the following was not one of the Founding Fathers from North Carolina?
a. William Hooper
b. Joseph Hewes
c. John Penn
d. Michael Jordan
13. Who famously uttered this line: “I am your father …”
a. Darth Vader
b. Darth Maul
c. Darth Sidious
d. Every father ever, followed by, “and you’ll do what I say.”
14. The oldest man to father a child was:
15. Who are the only father-son duo in Major League Baseball history to hit back-to-back home runs?
a. Hal and Brian McRae
b. Cecil and Prince Fielder
c. Ken Griffey Sr. and Jr.
d. Bobby and Barry Bonds
16. What rock star dad hired his son to play bass for his band?
a. Keith Richards, but he doesn’t remember doing it
b. Jon Bon Jovi, and now his son’s wanted dead or alive; thanks dad
c. Eddie Van Halen, to make up for naming his son Wolfgang
d. Ozzy Osbourne, but he doesn’t remember doing it
17. This singer is known as “The Godfather of Soul”
a. James Brown
b. Jackson Browne
c. James Taylor
d. Don Corleone was the godfather of everything, and frankly your lack of respect is disturbing. Let’s take a ride and talk about it.
18. Who said this: “By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he’s wrong.”
a. George Burns
b. Ray Romano
c. Charles Wadsworth
d. Ray Charles
19. What father and daughter sang a duet on “Unforgettable”?
a. Nat King and Natalie Cole
b. Billy Ray and Miley Cyrus
c. Lionel and Nicole Richie
d. Steven and Liv Tyler
20. Who’s the greatest dad of all time?
a. John Walton Sr.
b. Dr. Cliff Huxtable
c. Al Bundy
d. My dad, of course!
1. b. Father’s day began in the U.S. in the early 20th century to complement Mother’s Day. It was founded in Spokane, Wash., in 1910 after Sonora Smart Dodd heard a sermon abut Mother’s Day. Although she initially suggested June 5, her father’s birthday, the pastors didn’t have enough time to prepare their sermons, and the celebration was deferred to the third Sunday of June. While Father’s Day was observed throughout the ensuing decades, it wasn’t until 1966 that a presidential proclamation was issued, by President Lyndon B. Johnson, honoring fathers and designating the third Sunday in June as Fathers Day. It became a national permanent holiday six years later, when President Richard Nixon signed it into law.
2. a. Jor-El, but Brando did play him in “Superman”
3. c. The Godfather
4. a. George Washington
5. a. Best, but probably the others, too
6. d. Roses are the official flower for Father’s Day. A red rose is worn in the lapel if your father is living, a white rose if he is deceased.
7. a. Cary Grant
8. a. Dad’s Root Beer was the first product to use the six pack format invented by the Atlanta Paper Company in the 1940s.
9. a. “California Dreamin’”
10. d. Whatever you give him, but that grill sounds pretty sweet
11. a. Daddy Warbucks
12. d. Hooper, Hews and Penn signed the Declaration of Independence representing North Carolina. In fairness, though, not one of them could’ve hung with Jordan on a basketball court, and he did bring the buzz back.
13. a. and d. are correct
14. If you said c. or d. you get credit.
The Guinness Book of World Records lists Les Colley, who had his ninth child with his third wife at the age of 92 years, 10 months. Colley was 90 when he met his wife through a dating agency. He was quoted as saying to reporters, “I never thought she would get pregnant so easy, but she bloody well did,”
However, reports from various media outlets name Ramjit Raghav, an Indian former wrestler and farmer who fathered two children when he was 94 and 96, as the oldest father.
15. c. Ken Griffey Sr. and Ken Griffey Jr. did it on Sept. 14, 1990, when both played for the Seattle Mariners.
16. c. Eddie Van Halen. Made up the part about it being in reparation for the name, but that’s probably true.
17. a. James Brown, but don’t tell The Family.
18. c. Charles Wadsworth
19. a. Through the wonders of technology, Natalie Cole performed the song with her legendary father after his death.
20. d. If you said anything else, don’t bother going to dad’s house today, because he’ll know. He will know. Because he’s dad.