• Caring for the Caregiver, Alzheimer’s Support Group affiliated with the Alzheimer’s Assoc., 5:30-6:30 p.m. fourth Thursdays (Jan.-Oct.), Rufty Holmes Senior Center, 1120 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Ave. Sara Maloney 704-637-3940.
• Alzheimer’s/other dementias support group, 6:30 p.m. third Thursdays, Horizon Bay Assisted Living of Concord, 1501 Zion Church Road East, Concord, for families dealing with Alzheimer’s or other dementias. 704-782-1100.
• Autism Society of NC, Rowan chapter, Partners in Learning Child Development Center at Catawba College. Call 704-638-9020 for dates and times of meetings.
• Autism support group, 6:30 p.m. first Thursdays, Medical Arts Bldg. classrooms, Carolinas Medical Center-NorthEast, 920 Church St. N., Concord. To support caregivers of children with autism and neuropsychiatric conditions, provide vital information, practical recommendations. 704-403-2660 or www.northeastpedsneuro.org.
• Autism support group Monthly Coffee Break, noon- 1 p.m. fourth Thursdays, Port City Java, 1804 W. Innes St. Iinformation, sharing, support. Partners in Learning, 704-638-9020.
• Bariatric support group, first Tuesdays, 7-8 p.m., classroom A2A of the medical center. Fellowship, nutrition education, exercise, lifestyle changes, behavioral modification along the weight-loss journey for those considering or have undergone weight-loss surgery. Free. Suzie Dinse, RN, 704-210-5474.
• Caring Friends grief support group for parents who have lost infants. Meets on an as-needed basis. 704-636-7803 or 704-279-6279.
• Cardiac support group, 7 p.m. third Tuesdays in February, June and October, Cardiac Rehabilitation Wellness Center, second floor Kiser Medical Building, Novant Health Rowan Medical Center, 704-210-5412.
• Celebrate Recovery, Christ-centered 12-step program for hurts, habits and hangups, including alcoholism; co-dependency; grief; divorce; sexual abuse; domestic violence; and drug, sexual, food and gambling addictions, 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Trading Ford Baptist Church, 3600 Long Ferry Road. 704-637-7523 or 704-633-5986.
• Celiac support group at Rowan Regional Medical Center. Anna DeBoyace, RD, 704-210-5240.
• Circle of Hope support group for parents grieving the loss of a child, 7-8:30 p.m. second Thursdays, 2290 Statesville Boulevard. Lori Yang, 704-630-0319.
• Coping with Grief group support for anyone mourning the loss of a loved one. Call for current schedule. Rowan Regional Hospice, 704 637-7645.
• Denton Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue support group, expanded to include all chronic illnesses such as RSD, migraine, Crohn’s disease, diabetes, and anyone having to cope with pain in their lives; 6 p.m. first Thursdays, Central UMC, bottom floor, First Street in Denton. Addie Phillips, 336-859-9122, email@example.com
• Diabetes support group, Novant Health Rowan Medical Center : 2 p.m. First Tuesdays, Education Resource Center, Clay Classroom. Free. Support and education for people with diabetes and their families. Registration not necessary. Information and monthly topic, Diabetes and Nutrition Center, 704-210-5771.
• Diabetes support group, 7-8:30 p.m. first Mondays, Faith Baptist Church fellowship hall. Refreshments. Group leader: Freda Horne RN, 704-279-2463.
• Diabetes support group, Lake Norman Regional Medical Center, noon-1 p.m., fourth Mondays, Burlington Room, Charles Mack Citizens Center, Mooresville. Free, registration not required. Mitzie McCurdy, Director of Community Outreach, 704-660-4859.
• DivorceCare, Monday 6:30-8 p.m., First Baptist Church, 223 N. Fulton St., $13, weekly seminar and support group conducted by people who understand the experience of separation and divorce. DVD-based sessions. 704-633-0431.
• Divorce Care for Kids (DC4K), Mondays 6:30-8 p.m., First Baptist Church, 223 North Fulton St.,$13. Kids 1-6th grade make friends with others who understand how they feel as they watch videos, do activities, hear music, play games. 704-633-0431.
• Domestic Violence support group for women 18 and older who are or have been in abusive relationships. Call 704-636-4718.
• God’s Special Angels, support group for families with children with Down syndrome, meets periodically at Partners in Learning Child Development and Family Resource Center, at Catawba College, 2300 W. Innes St. email firstname.lastname@example.org or 704-68-9020.
• GriefShare, Monday 6:30-8 p.m., First Baptist Church, 223 N. Fulton St., $13. For those who have lost spouse, child, family member or loved one, comfort and encouragement using biblical principles. 704-633-0431.
• GriefShare, Monday 6-8 p.m. Feb.17-May 19 2014, Central Baptist Church, 1810 Moose Road, Kannapolis. 704-467-2795.
• HERO support group for children ages 5-12 who have witnessed domestic violence, 5-6 p.m. Tuesdays; 5-6:30 p.m. Thursdays. Call 704-636-4718.
• Hurt, Habits and Hang-ups: Celebrate Recovery, Monday 6:30-8 p.m., First Baptist Church, 223 N. Fulton St., $5. God’s healing power through the 12 steps and 8 principles of Recovery found in the Beatitudes, sharing experiences, strengths, hope. 704-633-0431.
• Incest/Rape Survivors support group, 5:30 p.m. second and fourth Thursdays. Call Family Crisis Council, 704-636-4718.
• John Miller Colon Cancer support group, lunch at noon, third Thursdays, Farmhouse Restaurant, Jake Alexander Blvd. Eva White, 704-212-2362.
• Living in Pink, support and education group for people with breast cancer and survivors of breast cancer, 6 p.m. first Wednesdays, large classroom, Novant Health Rowan Medical Center ‘s Tower A. Vicki Rhyne, 704-633-7555, 704-640-8088.
• NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) Support, education, advocacy for family, friends, individuals suffering with mental illness. Meet 7 p.m., first and third Tuesdays, Gloria Dei Lutheran Church, 1908 Statesville Blvd., parking and entry in back. Peggy Mangold, 704-640-8811, email@example.com or Joyce Parra 704-645-1030.
• Multiple Sclerosis self-help support group, “Our Inspiration,” for those newly diagnosed and/or with Multiple Sclerosis meets 6:30 p.m. second Mondays. J.F. Hurley YMCA, Jake Alexander Blvd., Salisbury. Christine Scotton, scotton1@ windstream.net or 704-798-3341.
• Narconon, nonprofit organization dedicated to helping those with drug addictions provides addiction help through consultation 8 a.m.-8 p.m. seven days a week. For help, call 1-800-556-8885.
• Narcotics Anonymous:
O=open • C=closed • D=discussion • AF= alternating format • WA or 1/2WA=wheelchair accessible • CL=candlelight meeting • BS=basic text study • LS=literature study • All meetings are nonsmoking
—Sunday: 6:30 p.m., Omega Group, Mount Zion Baptist Church, 1920 Shirley Ave., by Salisbury Mall, behind Clancy Hills, AF WA.
—Monday: Noon, Omega Group step study, Mount Zion Baptist Church, 1920 Shirley Ave., by Salisbury Mall, behind Clancy Hills, AF WA • 7:30 p.m. Happy Joyous & Free, First United Methodist Church, 209 E. Mill St., Landis, OD WA.
—Tuesday: Noon, Omega Group, Mount Zion Baptist Church,1920 Shirley Ave., by Salisbury Mall, behind Clancy Hills, AF WA • Noon, Embracing Reality, First Presbyterian Church, 201 Vance St., Kannapolis, AF WA • 6:30 p.m. Omega Group, Gethsemane Baptist Church, 719 Caldwell St., BS WA • 7:30 p.m. Free to Live, New Hope Lutheran Church, 1615 Brantley Road, Kannapolis, OD BS.
—Wednesday: Noon, Omega Group, Mount Zion Baptist Church,1920 Shirley Ave., by Salisbury Mall, behind Clancy Hills, OD AF WA • 7 p.m. Omega Group, Moore’s Chapel, Monroe and Partee streets, OD.
—Thursday: Noon, Omega Group, Mount Zion Baptist Church, 1920 Shirley Ave., by Salisbury Mall, behind Clancy Hills. LS AF WA • Noon, Embracing Reality, First Presbyterian Church, 201 Vance St. Kannapolis, O WA • 7 p.m. Omega Group, St. John’s Lutheran Church, 201 W. Council St., CD LS WA enter at Boy Scout Hut.
—Friday: Noon, Omega Group, Mount Zion Baptist Church, 1920 Shirley Ave., by Salisbury Mall, behind Clancy Hills, AF WA, spiritual discussion • 7 p.m. Omega Group, St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, 131 W. Council St., AF • 8 p.m., Free to Live, New Hope Lutheran Church, 1615 Brantley Road, Kannapolis, OD AF.
—Saturday: 7 p.m., Omega Group, St. John’s Lutheran Church, 201 W. Council St., enter at Boy Scout Hut, OD WA .
Narcotics Anonymous Helpline, 704-640-6488.
Alternative: Narconon, 800-431-1754 or DrugAbuseSolution.com
• Overcomers in Christ, Jericho Outreach addiction recovery program, 7 p.m. Mondays, Grace Bible Church Family Life Center, 6725 E. NC 152, Rockwell. 704-279-6820 or Overcomersinchrist@yahoo.com. Also, 7 p.m. Wednesdays, Rockwell Public Library basement. 704-213-6712.
• Overcoming Depression, Mondays 6:30-8 p.m., First Baptist Church, 223 N. Fulton St., $5. Learn where the feelings of depression begin, find happiness, hope and freedom in Christ. 704-633-0431.
• Overeaters Anonymous Salisbury, 12-step program for those with a problem with food, yo-yo dieting, bingeing, d compulsive overeating, 6:30-7:30 p.m. Thursdays, St. Luke Episcopal, 131 W. Council St., the church hall, door to the immediate right and back from the church front doors. Chris, 704-604-0910.
• Parent-to-Parent support for parents of children with disabilities, chronic illnesses, emotional or behavioral challenges and parents of premature infants, through Family Support Network of Southern Piedmont, call 1-800-650-6526 or 704- 788-1616.
• PFLAG (Parents, Friends and Families of Lesbians and Gays) support group, 10 a.m. third Saturdays, Haven Lutheran Church fellowship hall, 207 W.Harrison St. 704-213-0181 or salisburypflag@ bellsouth.net or firstname.lastname@example.org
• Recovery Anonymous for anyone affected by the disease of chemical dependency, 6:30-7:30 p.m. Sundays, Suite 211, Kent Building, 909 S. Main St. 704-637-0052.
• Rowan Brain Injury support group, 7 p.m. fourth Thursdays, Arc of Rowan, 1918 w. Innes St. To support people with acquired brain injury and/or TBI, their families, care givers or anyone interested. Nadine Cherry 980-622-7732, Mary Sechler 704-905-2353, The Arc of Rowan 704-637-1521.
• Rowan Epilepsy support group, 7 p.m. second Thursdays, First UMC media room, 217 S. Church St. Carole Young, 704-639-0847, youngcarole@hotmail. com or toll-free to Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center, 1-800-642-0500.
• Rowan Parkinson’s support group, 1 p.m., first Tuesdays, First Presbyterian Church education bldg., Fisher Street. Peggy Wilson, 704-633-3181.
• Rowan Hospice & Palliative CARE, grief Support Group, Monthly, day support groups from 1:30-2:30 p.m. and Spring and Fall, evening 6-week support groups available. Susanna Lund 704-637-7645 or 336-331-1348.
• Salisbury Mothers of Multiples support group for families of twins, triplets and more, 6:30 p.m. third Thursdays, First United UMC on N. Church St. Suzannah Callahan at 704-647-0445.
• Sarcoidosis support group, 1-3 p.m. third Saturdays, Rowan Public Library. For anyone that has or knows of someone with sarcoidosis. Share, learn, network for emotional, practical support. Delilah Blackwell, 704-638-0060, 704-797-6692, blackwelldelilah@yahoo. com
• Sexual Assault support group, 5-6 p.m. Tuesdays. Call 704-636-4718.
• Spiritual Divorce: The Gift of the Climb, Monday 6:30-8 p.m., First Baptist Church, 223 N. Fulton St., $20. Great follow up to DivorceCare. 704-633-0431.
• Surviving Stroke support group, 6:15 p.m. first Thursdays in March, June, Sept., Dec., Diagnostic Imaging and Physical Rehabilitation Center of Novant Health RMC, 514 Corporate Circle. 704-210-6918.
• TOPS means Take Off Pounds Sensibly: TOPS, a non-profit weight loss organization, holds weekly one hour support group meetings. Annual $28, half price for children 6-18 years and spouses who join together. www.tops.org/ or 1-800-YEA-TOPS. Local contact: Laura Wickwar, 919-621-3613, Laurasgw@gmail.com
Monday: Rufty-Holmes Senior Center, weigh in 9 a.m./ meeting 10 a.m. Leader Betty Camerlin 704-856-0205;
Monday: Carillon Assisted Living, 1915 Mooresville Rd., Country Kitchen room, weigh in 5:30 p.m., meeting 6 p.m. Leader Maggie Musselwhite, 704-754-6158;
Tuesday: 795 Cannon St., Rockwell (fellowship bldg. of Foursquare Church), weigh-in 5:30 p.m., meeting 6 p.m. Leader Denise Jacobs, 704-279-5164, 704-642-6518, email@example.com
Thursday: Ursinus United Church of Christ, 116 W. Main St., Rockwell, weigh-in 6 p.m., meeting 7 p.m. Mary Coburn, 704-970-7224.
• TLC support group for Widows/widowers, third Wednesdays, Powles Funeral Home. Speakers, programs, local field trips in the summer months. Russ Roakes, 704-279-7241.
• US TOO! Prostate support group, 6 p.m. third Thursdays, Novant Health Rowan Medical Center Cardiac Rehabilitation and Wellness Center, second floor Kiser Medical Building. Charles Glover, 704-642-2471.
Listings based on last best information received. Confirmation recommended before attending.
To update your infor-mation, email firstname.lastname@example.org with SUPPORT GROUP UPDATE in the subject line, or write to Lifestyle, SUPPORT GROUP UPDATE, Salisbury Post, POBox 4639, Salisbury, NC 28144, or call 704-797-4243.
• Caring for the Caregiver, an Alzheimer’s Support Group affiliated with the Alzheimer’s Association, 5:30-6:30 p.m. fourth Thursdays (Jan.-Oct.), Rufty... read more