Granite Quarry man charged with sexual assault of real estate agent

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, May 14, 2014

A Granite Quarry man is being held under $1 million bond, charged with the attempted rape of a real estate agent on Tuesday morning.
Brian Harold Cooper, 49, of the 100 block of Jack Street in Granite Quarry, is charged with one count of attempted first-degree rape, two counts of first-degree sexual assault and one count of first-degree kidnapping.
According to reports from the Salisbury Police Department, officers were called to the Century 21 Towne and Country office on West Jake Alexander Boulevard Tuesday. They spoke to the victim, who said she had been in contact with Cooper the day before about buying a house. Cooper met with the agent at 10 a.m. at the office. The report says the two drove together to a home in Salisbury.
Once inside the house, the victim told police, Cooper grabbed her around the neck and started choking her. He then pulled a knife and told her if she did not do what he said, he would kill her. Cooper sexually assaulted the agent, according to the report. He then told her to take him to another home he was supposed to see that day.
The victim told Cooper she had to call her office, because they would think something was wrong if she did not. The report said he threatened her again not to tell anyone. The agent called the office and told them to get information for the house in Granite Quarry that the suspect was supposed to see. The company has a predetermined code word for agents to indicate they are in distress, and she gave that word.
The report says the victim and suspect then went to the Granite Quarry address and the suspect again pulled a knife and started to assault her. Minutes later, another agent arrived and walked in not knowing what was going on. The victim left immediately and the suspect rode with the other agent back to the office. As soon as the victim got in the car, she called 911 to report what had happened.
The suspect had already left the business when police arrived. Cooper was arrested at his residence about 9 p.m. Tuesday. He remains in the Rowan County Detention Center, with a first court appearance scheduled for later today.