Police charge convicted felon with gun possession
Authorities charged a convicted felon with possessing a stolen gun after an anonymous caller reported seeing him walking along North Lee Street with the weapon Monday night.
Salisbury Police charged Jeffrey Wayne Hooker, 49, of the 700 block of North Lee Street, with felony possession of firearm by felon, felony possession of stolen goods and misdemeanor resist, obstruct, delay a public officer.
The caller told police they’d seen Hooker walking with a handgun and said he was a convicted felon. Police spotted Hooker near North Shaver Street not far from Waffle House.
A police report said Hooker began running when he saw police. The officer chased Hooker a short distance to East Innes Street, where he stopped after being warned the officer would deploy his Taser if he did not.
The officer found a .380 pistol in Hooker’s back pocket. The Rowan County Sheriff’s Office received a report that the gun was stolen. Hooker remains in the Rowan County jail under a $15,000 secured bond.
In other police reports:
• A man reported Monday someone stole a power tool from a class on the campus of Rowan-Cabarrus Community College in 1300 block of South Jake Alexander Boulevard.
• A woman reported a vandalism Monday in the 200 block of Dan Street.
In sheriff’s reports:
• A woman reported a larceny Sunday in the 600 block of Holshouser Road, Rockwell.
• A man reported a burglary Sunday in the 1000 block of Cloudview Lane.
• A woman reported a larceny Sunday in the 2600 block of Miller Road.
• A man reported a burglary Sunday in the 100 block of Ponderosa Drive.
• A woman reported a larceny that occurred sometime between April 8 and May 2 in the 1100 block of Middle Road.
• A woman reported a simple assault Monday in the 200 block of Mahaffey Drive.
• A woman reported a vandalism Monday in the 1500 block of Country Hill Drive.
• A man reported a larceny Monday in the 2000 block of White Road, Mount Ulla.
• George Thomas Ellis, 45, was charged Monday with misdemeanor possession of controlled schedule VI substance in the 1000 block of Flat Rock Road, China Grove.
• Paulino Dejesus Fajardo-Solo, 22, was charged Monday with misdemeanor assault on a female in the 1100 block of Woodleaf Barber Road, Cleveland.
Contact reporter Shavonne Potts at 704-797-4253.
SALISBURY — In the six agonizing weeks since Steven Hadaway was swept away in an Oso, Wash., mudslide, the lone... read more