Answers to 1D news quiz
1. B. A 6 percent occupancy tax helps to fund the Convention & Visitors Bureau.
2. D. While vacationing in Hawaii, former Parks Director Foltz noticed the 1887 calliope encased in vines and sitting in someone’s front yard.
3. A. At least one child has stayed at the shelter every night since 2010. Most recently, 10 children have been calling Rowan Helping Ministries’ shelter “home.”
4. B. Patel, who now lives in Forsyth County, is a Democratic candidate for the vacant seat in U.S. House District 12, formerly held by Mel Watt.
5. B. Last year, Operation Slow Down issued 19,581 citations for traffic violations during a similar week, of which 8,634 were for speed-related charges.
6. D. Gibson has shot a pilot episode for “The Dearly Departed” and hopes it will attract the attention of production companies or television networks.
7. B. Residents cited instances of gun violence in recent weeks on West Horah, West Bank and Grim streets. They also cited three murders in the past 11 months, numerous home invasions and vehicle thefts.
8. B. Council took no action until it could learn more about the need for affordable housing.
9. A. Democrats represent the majority of those who switched to unaffiliated, accounting for 470 of the 557 Democrats and Republicans who made the change.
10. D. Miller and Cohen also have been working toward collecting 4,000 signatures so they can be on the November ballot as commissioner candidates.