West, SHS softball win
West Rowan’s softball team won 2-1 against Carson in Tuesday’s SPC game.
Peyton Greene was the winning pitcher. She allowed two hits and struck out 12.
Greene hit a two-run homer for West’s runs. Greene threw 20 first-pitch strikes and didn’t walk anyone.
Carson pitcher Krista Penninger held West to six hits. Michaela White and Kaycee Kennedy had the only hits for the Cougars. Kennedy’s hit was a double.
• Salisbury won 8-7 at North Rowan in CCC softball played on Tuesday.
Caroline Forbis hit a two-run homer for the Hornets (5-4, 3-2) and struck out five.
Anna Tonseth and Leea Earnhardt had three hits each for the Hornets. Forbis and Katy Wolfe had two each.
Salisbury won 9-0 against West Davidson on Tuesday and wrapped up its fifth straight outright CCC championship. Michael Ogden, Clint Comadoll, Spencer Storey, Abraham Post, Chris Derrick and David Derrick won singles matches. Ogden-Post, Comadoll-Storey and the Derricks swept doubles.
Salisbury finishes its regular season today against North Rowan. The CCC tournament starts Monday at Lexington.
• East Rowan stayed on a roll in the SPC with a 7-2 win against Hickory Ridge on Tuesday.
South Rowan won 3-1 against Concord in SPC soccer on Tuesday.
Leslie Franks scored two goals. Keirsten Morgan had a goal and an assist.
Brittany Sprinkles had an assist. Kendall Lewis and Katie Figueroa controlled the midfield.
Wendy Fabella, Brooke Helms, Kari Joyce, Maddie Amico and Caitlin Chabala held Concord to five shots.
West Rowan outfielder/pitcher Nick Collins signed with Louisburg on Tuesday.
A story is upcoming.
• Chandler Simerson pitched a one-hitter and struck out 15 to lead West Davidson (7-6, 4-1) to a 3-0 CCC win against Lexington on Tuesday.
• Davie County lost 2-0 to West Forsyth in CPC play on Tuesday.
• A.L. Brown lost 7-0 to Mallard Creek in MECKA action on Tuesday.
Hayden Taylor took the loss. Mallard Creek scored two runs in the first inning to take charge.
• A.L. Brown’s jayvees won 8-3 against Mallard Creek.
Carson soccer players Logan “Fox” Correll and Garrett Owens will play at Laurel University in High Point.
The NHSCA National Wrestling Championships were held in Virginia Beach.
Rowan County sent 23 wrestlers to the event.
Spencer Bowler, a North Rowan freshman, brought home the highest honor. Bowler placed sixth at heavyweight with wins over Babatunde Okundaye (New Mexico), Dominic Eriksen (New York) and Andrew Tanner (New York) to secure High School All-America status. Bowler became North’s first high school All-American in wrestling.
Brandon Sloop (Carson) went 4-2 at 160. Wyatt Blume (East Rowan) went 2-2 at 145, Cody Brown (Carson) was 2-2 at heavyweight Tyler Hall (South Rowan) was 1-2 at 126. Michael Sloop (Southeast Middle) was 2-2 at 138.
Blume and Hall completed their prep careers at the event and are in the process of making college decisions.
The Salisbury softball team is holding a yard sale and car wash from 7-1 on Saturday in the parking lot next to Burger King on Jake Alexander Blvd.
Salisbury-West Davidson soccer was postponed. Salisbury-Ledford soccer that was scheduled for Thursday has been canceled.
CCC golf was postponed.
All SPC baseball games were postponed. Concord-West was rescheduled for Thursday. Carson-Northwest Cabarrus, South Rowan-Hickory Ridge and Cox Mill-Central Cabarrus were rescheduled for today.
• South-Cox Mill and Hickory Ridge-East Rowan softball were postponed from Tuesday to today. South-Carson softball announced Friday’s varsity gametime was moved up to 4:30 p.m.
• South-West soccer has been moved up from Friday to today. East Rowan-Carson soccer was postponed.
Ronnie Thompson made his first career hole-in-one on Saturday at Corbin Hills. Thompson used a 3-iron on the 180-yard No. 16 hole. Wtinessing the feat wer Greg Ceeger, Dale Plummer and Gary Powers.
• Kannapolis’ Rick Lewallen shot 3-under 69 on Tuesday and won the weather-shortened Old North State Senior Open.
• The Spring Two-Man Tournament at Corbin Hills will be held April 26-27. The format is Team Captain’s Choice. Teams will be flighted after Saturday’s round
The entry fee is $75 per player and includes golf, food and prizes. Entry does not include team skins both days and team buy in on Sunday.
There will be a shotgun start on Saturday at 8:30 a.m. and a shotgun start on Sunday at 1 p.m.
Contact Corbin Hills Golf Shop at 704-636-0672.
• The Corbin Hills Women’s Golf Association played a low gross/low net tournament on Tuesday.
In the Flight 1, Beth Calhoun won low gross, with Becky Isenhour scond. Mary Seaford won low net, with Tony Iossi second.
In Flight 2, Joy Maughmer won low gross. Sheryl Johnson won low net.
The State Handicap Tournament has been rescheduled for April 22.
The Kannapolis Intimidators split a doubleheader with Hickory on Tuesday in Kannapolis.
Andrew Mitchell’s pitching led the Intimidators to a 3-2 win in the opener.
Hickory won 4-0 in the nightcap behind the pitching of Ricardo Rodriguez.
Catawba’s Ebony Mills was named SAC Player of the Week for women’s lacrosse. Mills had eight goals and four assists to lead the Indians to a 3-0 week.
Catawba split Tuesday’s home SAC doubleheader with Lenoir-Rhyne, winning 1-0 and losing 5-0.
Carley Tysinger (16-6) shut out the Bears in the opener. She allowed three hits and fanned eight.
Catawba was held to five hits in the nightcap. Tysinger and Katherine Shumaker had two hits each.
Catawba’s Keaton Hawks was named SAC Player of the Week for baseball. Hawks batted .478 and helped the Indians win four of five games.
• Wingate’s Ben Currie is the SAC Pitcher of the Week.
• Winston-Salem State hurler Aaron Hatch shut down Catawba’s hot hitters and beat the Indians 4-2 at BB&T Field on Tuesday.
T.J. Wharton and Cameron Beard drove in runs for the Indians. Michael Trombino took the loss.
• Pfeiffer baseball will host a cancer awareness game against Barton at 3:30 p.m. at Ferebee Field. The team will wear pink caps.
West Rowan Middle won 10-6 against China Grove on Tuesday. Payne Stolsworth was the winning pitcher.
Cole Myers and Olen Stamper led the Bulldogs’ offense. West plays North Rowan Middle Thursday.
Middle school tennis
Knox won 8-1 against Erwin on Tuesday.
Singles winners ror Knox were Simon Post, Roarke Burton, Cole Goodnight, Luke Grenoble and Zach Chichester.
Doubles winners for Knox were Post-Goodnight, Burton-Grenoble and Christian Gonzalez-Chichester.
Knox (6-1) is at Mooresville Thursday.