Area Athletes Update:
Published 12:00 am Monday, March 31, 2014
Area athletes update …
Liberty junior right-hander Carson Herndon stayed in the low and mid 90s in an impressive outing on Saturday.
Herndon (4-1) pitched six shutout innings against Presbyterian, striking out six and walking two. He allowed two hits and faced only 20 hitters.
Herndon’s previous outing was almost as sharp. against High Point, he allowed three hits and one run in six innings.
Herndon is part of a strong pitching staff that didn’t allow a run in the weekend series with PC. Liberty is 21-7.
• Freshman infielder Nick Boswell (Davie) isn’t playing much yet for Liberty, but he’s 3-for-4 this season. He was 1-for-1 on Saturday.
• Corbin Shive (East Rowan) had two doubles and two RBIs as Charlotte beat Old Dominion 11-4 on Sunday.
• East Carolina’s Eric Tyler (South Rowan) has started 14 games as a freshman and is batting .220. He’s thrown out eight basestealers.
• Ryan Foster (Davie) pitched three scoreless innings and earned a save in UNC Wilmington’s 6-4 victory against James Madison on Saturday.
• Alex Newman hasn’t gotten a lot of chances for Gardner-Webb, but he’s been sensational. He’s batting .476 (10-for-21).
• Army’s Jon Crucitti (West Rowan) is batting .361 with 16 RBIs and is 10-for-11 on steal attempts. Crucitti was 1-for-2 in Saturday’s 2-0 win against Lehigh.
• Preston Troutman (East) is batting .260 with 10 RBIs for Appalachian State.
• UNC Asheville’s Corey Randall (Davie) is 0-3, but he has 28 strikeouts in 21 2/3 innings.
• Kevin Hamilton (NW Cabarrus, Kannapolis Legion) was the winning pitcher for Brevard in a victory against Anderson on Saturday. Hamilton (2-4) battled through six innings and struck out six in a 7-6 victory.
• Belmont Abbey’s Forrest Buchanan (Salisbury) pitched three shutout innings in relief against Barton on Sunday.
• Catawba’s contingent of local players has been led by center fielder Blake Houston (South Rowan), who is batting .328 with a .411 on-base percentage. Houston has stolen 10 bases and lead the Indians with 31 runs scored.
Second baseman Julio Zubillaga (Carson) hasn’t hit for average so far (.236), but he has three homers and 18 RBIs.
John J. Tuttle (A.L. Brown) is 5-2 and has 48 strikeouts in 55 innings.
Catcher Jon Wallace (NWC, Kannapolis Legion) had started 19 games and is batting .218.
• Jesse Park (Carson) pitched three shutout innings for Pfeiffer in a 5-0 loss at UNC Pembroke.
Freshman outfielder Dylan Goodman (South) is batting .301 with 10 RBIs for the Falcons.
• Wheeling Jesuit’s Tyler Kowalczyk (South) had a triple Thursday and is batting .327 this season.
• UNC Pembroke first baseman Brett Huffman (West) is batting .336 with five homers and 30 RBIs.
• Chase Hathcock (East) has started 17 games for Lenoir-Rhyne and is batting .211.
• Jacob Barber (Davie) is batting .271 with two homers and 12 RBIs for Winston-Salem State.
• Guilford catcher Nathan Fulbright (East) is batting .322 with 13 RBIs.
• Connor Bodehmaner (Davie) is batting .300 for Surry Community College. Ashton Fleming (East) is batting .279 for Surry.
Campbell’s junior shortstop Ericka Nesbitt (East) was enjoying another great season when she suffered a shoulder injury diving for a ball.
Nesbitt was second team All-Big South as a freshman and made the first team as a sophomore.
Nesbitt was batting .347 and was leading Campbell with 15 stolen bases.
• Belmont Abbey’s Samantha Jacobs pitched a three-hitter against Brevard in a 3-0 win on Sunday.
Jacobs struck out five and walked four.
Jacobs also pitched the last two innings to finish a 9-7 win in the second game of Sunday’s doubleheader.
Katherine Starnes (South) had two hits and drove in a run for Belmont Abbey in the second game.
• Freshman third baseman Steffi Sides (East) has played well for Guilford and is batting .266.
• Zebresha Blakeney (A.L. Brown) had three hits as North Carolina A&T took two from South Carolina State.
• Chelsea White (East) is 7-6 in the circle for Elon.
• Pfeiffer’s Sydney Poole (East) was the winning pitcher in relief in Sunday’s 1-0 win against Limestone.
Poole (4-7) got the last out in the top of the seventh and was credited with the win when the Falcons scored in the bottom half.
Omar Ray (A.L. Brown) was part of Wingate’s 4×400 relay team that ran a school-record 3:16.03 in Saturday’s Raleigh Relays.