Store clerks cited for selling alcohol to underage man
Salisbury Police issued citations to eight local store clerks who they say did not card an underage customer who bought alcohol. Members of the Police Interdiction Team (PIT) and the department’s drug unit set up “Operation Alcohol” where they used a 20-year-old man who volunteered to go into the stores, which included mostly convenience stores, to buy the alcohol.
The volunteer was wired so police could record audio from the transactions, said Police Capt. Shelia Lingle.
She said the clerks at a majority of the stores did follow the law and request identification. North Carolina Alcohol Law Enforcement (ALE) will follow up with the stores and issue any appropriate fines, Lingle said.
Police issued citations at the following locations:
• Food Lion, Statesville Boulevard
• S&V Discount, Stokes Ferry Road
• Citgo, East Innes Street
• Circle K, East Innes Street
• Reds Mart, West Innes Street
• Rushco No. 4, West Innes Street
• Rushco No. 11, Statesville Boulevard
• Kangaroo Express, Statesville Boulevard