Authorities: Salisbury pair goes on long shopping spree with stolen credit card
Rowan County Sheriff’s investigators say a Salisbury pair went on a countywide spending spree, buying food, cigarettes, clothing, alcohol and other items with a stolen credit card.
Most of the incidents occurred throughout December 2013, but the theft of the credit card occurred in November, arrest warrants say.
Rowan officials charged Ronald Glenn Brinson, 32, of the 1600 block of Rainey Road, Salisbury, with 27 counts of obtaining property by false pretenses, one count of felony breaking and entering and one count misdemeanor larceny. He has since been released from the Rowan County Detention Center under a $100,000 secured bond.
Amber Dawn McGarrell, 30, also of the 1600 block of Rainey Road, Salisbury, was charged with 27 counts of obtaining property by false pretenses, one count of felony breaking and entering, one count misdemeanor larceny and one count felony identity theft.
McGarrell remains in the Rowan County jail under a $100,000 secured bond.
Arrest warrants say sometime between Nov. 26 and Nov. 27, 2013, the two took a duffel bag from a Union County woman that contained her school books, wallet, license and other identification. The items were inside her vehicle.
Throughout December Brinson is accused of using a stolen credit card at several restaurants, clothing stores and other businesses to buy a variety of things, including food and shoes.
Warrants say Brinson and McGarrell are responsible for the following:
• Dec. 5, officials say they paid for $9.52 worth of coffee and food at Starbucks using a fraudulently obtained Chase credit card. She bought food from M&K Barbecue in Granite Quarry on the same day.
• Dec. 6, they bought $6.80 in food and cigarettes at Sandy’s One Stop in China Grove using a stolen credit card.
• Dec. 7, she and Brinson went to Walmart where officials say they bought $409.78 worth of clothing, electronics, food and other items and on the same day made a $95.85 purchase at the superstore. Warrants say on the same day they went to Cracker Barrell, where he ordered food using the stolen credit card.
• Dec. 9, he and McGarrell bought $20.16 in food from Hardee’s in Rockwell.
• Dec. 11, authorities say Brinson and McGarrell used a credit card to buy $19.44 worth of food from Burger King in Salisbury. Also they are accused of buying $224.65 worth of shoes from Rack Room Shoes using a stolen credit card.
• Dec. 14, he and McGarrell went to Dollar General in China Grove where officials say they bought $42.61 in food and merchandise. He and McGarrell also purchased $51.94 at Porky’s Barbecue restaurant in China Grove.
• Dec. 16, they bought $21.40 worth of pizza and other food from Pizza Hut in Rockwell.
• Dec. 18, he and McGarrell paid for $31.62 in food from China Garden in Granite Quarry with a credit card that did not belong to him. The two got tattoos at Inksane that they paid for with the stolen credit card, the warrant says.
• Dec. 20, Brinson and McGarrell are said to have gone to Sportrax, located on Freeland Drive, next to Papa John’s Pizza, and bought a pair of shoes using a stolen credit card. Also, he and McGarrell bought an 80-piece drill and drive set from Lowe’s Home Improvement.
• Dec. 22, they used a credit card that Brinson obtained fraudulently to buy $10.70 worth of food, clothing and other merchandise at the Dollar General Store in Granite Quarry.
• Dec. 24, Brinson used the credit card to buy $15.24 worth of food from Dollar General Store. Also they bought $11.50 in beer and liquor from Stars and Bars Tavern in Salisbury. Also on this day, officials say Brinson and McGarrell took the credit card and bought $6.80 in food, gas or cigarettes from Sheetz. They got a motel room from the Econo Lodge for $169.48.
• Dec. 25, Brinson and McGarrell paid for $30.57 in cologne and greeting cards from Walgreens on East Innes Street.
• Dec. 26, Brinson used a stolen credit card to buy $27.87 from Quality Mart in Rockwell in food, gas and cigarettes. Officials also say McGarrell bought food, gas and or cigarettes from Quality Mart in Rockwell.
• Dec. 27, they used the credit card to buy $38.48 in food from McDonald’s on East Innes Street.
• Dec. 30, Brinson and McGarrell bought $56.03 in food, gas or cigarettes from Circle K convenience store in Granite Quarry.
• Dec. 5 through Dec. 25, McGarrell and Brinson bought $587.89 in cigarettes, food and gas over the course of 10 different transactions from the Gas ‘N’ Go Food & Beverage store in Granite Quarry.
• Dec. 11 through Dec. 20, he and McGarrell bought $398.95 worth of clothing and other items from Marshall’s clothing store.
• Dec. 5 through Dec. 7, Brinson bought $304.13 in auto parts and supplies from Auto Zone on East Innes Street.