Catawba, East baseball win
Paul Kronenfeld had three hits, including a home run, to pace Catawba to a 10-5 SAC win against Anderson on Friday night at Newman Park.
Blake Houston (South Rowan) and Ethan Satterfield also had three hits for the Indians as Catawba rapped out a season-high 18 hits. Houston and Kronenfeld scored three times each.
Steven Cooper and David Jones each had two hits for Anderson. Cooper had a three-run homer and Jonathan Zalud hit a solo homer.
Catawba (12-11, 7-5) is at home this afternoon for a doubleheader starting at 1 p.m., and fine weather is expected.
Craig Brooks (4-2) pitched into the sixth to get the win. Michael Trombino was outstanding in relief.
• Appalachian State’s Preston Troutman (East Rowan) had three hits and two RBIs in a 4-3 loss to Michigan on Friday.
East Rowan scored eight runs in the third inning and won 10-4 against Concord in SPC action on Friday.
Harrison Bell threw five innings for the win. Alec Hamilton finished up.
Dustin Ritchie had three hits, and Michael Caldwell, Ike Freeman and Mason Doby also had big offensive games for East (4-2, SPC).
• Davie lost to Reagan 5-4 in CPC action on Friday.
Davie (2-4, 0-2) got two hits each from Brandon Lankford and Charlie Muchukot.
Elijah Jones pitched a complete game for the War Eagles.
• Ryan McIntire homered for East Davidson (2-2) in Friday’s 6-2 loss to Southwest Guilford. East Davidson is playing Wheatmore this afternoon at 2.
• A.L. Brown won 3-2 against North Meck in MECKA play on Friday.
Trace Hagler pitched a complete game for the Wonders and struck out 12.
Hagler drove in Kameron Sherrill with a single, and Hagler scored on a double by Zach Mullinax.
Sherrill made a spectacular play in center field.
Zack Ruttkamp pitched a complete game for North Meck.
• West Davidson lost 3-2 to Central Davidson on Friday.
• Hunter Shepherd had three hits for the Greater Cabarrus Homeschool Stallions in a 9-6 win against Statesville Christian on Friday.
Josh Holt pitched six innings for the win. Caleb Threadgill earned a save for the Stallions (3-0). Noah Jarrett and Holt had two hits. Holt, Jarrett and Threadgrill had doubles.
The Stallions are at home today at 9 a.m. at the Faith Jaycee Park.
Carson’s Zachary Marchinko won the 1600 in 4:51 in a track meet with South Rowan and Cox Mill.
Hunter Gibbons hit for a rare cycle and Marissa Yow powered two homers as West Rowan beat East Rowan 9-1 in SPC softball on Friday.
• South Rowan’s softball team lost to Central Cabarrus 3-0. Logan Lowery threw a complete game for the Raiders and allowed five hits.
• A.L. Brown’s softball team rolled 17-0 against West Charlotte in MECKA action on Friday.
• Carson defeated Concord 11-0 in five innings in SPC softball on Friday.
Krista Peninger struck out six and was the winning pitcher.
Morgan Peninger had three hits, including two doubles. Mariah Morgan had two hits, including a double. Kaycee Kennedy had two hits. Kinsley Bean, Kayla Sigmon and Meghan Kepley also had hits.
• Caroline Forbis struck out eight and allowed only two hits as Salisbury won 11-1 over Uwharrie Charter in five innings. Leea Earnhadt had three hits. Katy Wolfe had two hits. Forbis, Haley Bowler, Kate Murph, Rebecca Malloy and Audrey Hudson had one each.
Sarah Safrit’s goal lifted Carson to a 1-0 SPC win against West Rowan, the first time the Cougars have beaten the Falcons.
• Cox Mill won 9-0 against South Rowan in SPC girls soccer on Friday, while Hickory Ridge won 9-0 vs. East Rowan.
A.l. Brown’s jayvees won 9-8 in eight innings against North Meck on Friday.
Knox’s girls won 43-38 against West Rowan Middle.
Bryanna Troutman scored 22 points for the Trojans. Makayla Dillard had seven points, and Essence Summer scored five.
Chantal Robinson led the Bulldogs with 14 points. Payton Holt scored six.
• Knox’s girls won 40-30 against Erwin. Troutman had 27 points and nine blocks. Tacora Robinson scored six points, and Jineka Glenn made seven steals.
Zynoria Winford and Laura Weisensel scored eight each for the Eagles.
Knox and Corriher-Lipe finished as regular season co-champs with 13-1 records.
• West Rowan Middle’s boys won 46-28 against China Grove. Robert Caldwell had nine points, six rebounds and four steals for the Bulldogs.Anthony Chance and Kai Siskda scored eight each. Chance and Jacob Perez pulled down five rebounds apiece.
Jarius Bates scored 10 for the Red Devils.
• Pairings for today’s conference tournament first-round games at Southeast were announced.
8 — (3) Mooresville vs. (6) North Rowan girls
9:30 — (2) Mooresville vs. (7) Southeast boys
11 — (1) Knox vs. (8) Southeast girls
12:30 — (3) Erwin vs. (6) China Grove boys
2 — (4) Erwin vs. (5) West Rowan girls
3:30 — (4) West Rowan vs. (5) Knox boys
5 — (2) Corriher-Lipe vs. (7) China Grove girls
Bye — (1) North Rowan boys
Michael Childress made two eagles at Warrior and shot 33 to lead Sacred Heart to a 162-198 win against Salisbury Academy. Alex Antosek shot 38. Eric Turnbull shot 44. Will Taylor and Sean Archer had 47s.
Salisbury Parks and Recreation is hosting a free book signing today at Hall Gym from 2-4.
Logan Mauldin, 11, will be signing copies of his book “Step Up Your Game.” Two hundred copies will be given away.
GREENSBORO — The foundation of Pittsburgh’s NCAA tournament resume has been its lack of bad losses. The Panthers weren’t about... read more