• 52°

Rowan weather: From snow to wildfires

Well, we didn’t get the snow. And now there’s a new hazard to keep in mind.
The National Weather Service says the danger of wildfires increases Thursday with very dry and breezy conditions.
The areas most susceptible to fire are the mountains and foothills, where winds of 15-30 mph are expected.
All mention of snow for today has been removed, and it should be partly sunny with a high near 46, and little wind. Tonight, we get cold — down to 23.
Thursday should be sunny with a high near 51 and windy. Thursday night’s low will be 22.
Friday is another chilly day, but sunny, with a high of 42 and northeast winds.
And then Friday night brings a 30 percent chance of rain and snow, mostly in the overnight hours. Freezing rain is also a possibility, with a low around 30, but Saturday should dawn partly sunny and warmer with a high of 52 and a low around 33.
Sunday should be sunny, too, and even warmer, around 62. There’s a 40 percent chance of rain Sunday night and a 60 percent chance Monday, with the chance of rain continuing through Tuesday.

Comments

Comments closed.

Education

RSS superintendent talks district’s future, strategic plan survey

News

Complaints and fines pile up against unpermitted landfill in southwest Rowan County

College

Catawba baseball: Crowd comes out to say goodbye to Newman Park

Lifestyle

History is a great teacher: Farming has helped shape Rowan County

Business

‘A safe place for them’: Timeless Wigs and Marvelous Things celebrates fifth anniversary

China Grove

County will hear request for more tree houses, hobbit-style homes in China Grove

Coronavirus

Livingstone College partners with Health Department to administer 500 Pfizer vaccinations

Education

‘Elite and it shows’: Staff at Partners in Learning at Novant celebrate news of national accreditation

Business

Biz Roundup: Food Lion earns Energy Star award for 20th consecutive year

Columns

Ester Marsh: What body type are you?

Nation/World

The queen says goodbye to Philip, continues her reign alone

Nation/World

Worldwide COVID-19 death toll tops a staggering 3 million

Nation/World

US, China agree to cooperate on climate crisis with urgency

Nation/World

Sikh community calls for gun reforms after FedEx shooting

High School

North Rowan romps into second round of football playoffs

Nation/World

FBI had interviewed former FedEx employee who killed eight

Crime

Gastonia man sentenced for crash into restaurant that killed his daughter, daughter-in-law

Nation/World

Some call for charges after video of police shooting 13-year-old in Chicago

Business

State unemployment rate falls to 5.2% in March

Coronavirus

NASCAR approach to virus vaccine varies greatly

News

Judge rejects Cherokee challenge against new casino in Kings Mountain

Elections

Jackson tops NC Senate fundraising; Walker coffers also full

Local

Kiwanis Pancake Festival serves thousands of flapjacks for charity

Coronavirus

Rowan remains in state’s middle, yellow tier for COVID-19 community spread