Avoid carbon monoxide poisoning
With the potential for widespread power outages beginning today, the Carolinas Poison Center would like to remind the public about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning if unsafe measures are taken to heat homes after power is lost. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that cannot be detected without a CO alarm.
• Never use a charcoal or gas grill inside a house, garage, closed-in porch, or tent. Do not use charcoal in the fireplace.
• When using the fireplace to burn wood or gas logs, make sure the flue is open and the chimney is not blocked.
• Do not use a kerosene heater or gas logs for heat unless you have a working carbon monoxide alarm.
• Never use a generator inside your home — not even in the basement, garage or porch. Keep it outside, far away from the house.
• Never use a gas stove or oven to heat the house.
The link to the full Carolinas Poison Center fact sheet on carbon monoxide prevention is here.
SALISBURY — When Dr. Henry B. Waiters arrived at Scott Air Force Base in 1949, he was a young Southerner... read more