Area Athletes Update
Area athletes update …
Pfeiffer’s Sydney Poole (East Rowan) tossed a shutout against Tusculum on Saturday in her college debut. Poole allowed three hits and struck out eight in a 2-0 victory.
Poole also won on Sunday when Pfeiffer beat King 5-2. Poole allowed no earned runs in six innings and struck out four.
Poole has only walked one batter. She also got her first college hit on Sunday.
Elon pitcher Chelsea White (East) pitched a five-hitter and struck out four in an 8-3 win against UNC Wilmington in the opener for the Phonenix.
• Ericka Nesbitt (East) started the season for Campbell with three hits in eight at-bats.
Catawba second baseman Julio Zubillaga (Carson) is off to a 7-for-21 start. He leads the team with five RBIs and has belted Catawba’s only home run.
John J. Tuttle (A.L. Brown) has Catawba’s only win. The Indians started 1-5 against Florida opponents.
• Kevin Hamilton (NW Cabarrus) was outstanding in his first start for Brevard, pitching seven innings against Carson-Newman without allowing an earned run.
• Brett Huffman (West) is off to a good start for UNC Pembroke. He’s 5-for-11 with two RBIs.
• Chase Hathcock (East Rowan) is 3-for-13 in the early going for Lenoir-Rhyne.
• Forrest Buchanan (Salisbury) hasn’t allowed an earned run in his two appearances for Belmont Abbey.
• Jesse Park (Carson) pitched in relief in Pfeiffer’s 4-3 win against Francis Marion.
• North Greenville’s Matt Laurens (North) started on the mound and struck out four in a 9-3 loss to Lander.
• Nathan Fulbright (East) is 8-for-24 with three doubles for Guilford. Avery Rogers (East) has struck out four in two relief innings for the Quakers.
Men’s college hoops
Brevard’s Darius Moose (Carson) had another outstanding game on Saturday. Moose scored 29 points in the Tornados’ 84-74 SAC loss to Queens.
Moose shot 10-for-18 from the field. He’s third in the SAC in scoriing at 20.6 points per game.
• Mars Hill’s Isaiah Cuthbertson (West Rowan) had seven points and six rebounds in Saturday’s 97-90 SAC loss to Coker. Cuthbertson ranks third in the league in scoring and in field-goal percentage. He’s still shooting better than 60 percent on field-goal attempts.
• In GRU Augusta’s 83-69 win against Young Harris on Saturday, K.J. Sherrill (West) had 20 points and eight rebounds and Keshun Sherrill (West) scored 16 points. They had five assists apiece.
• Louisburg’s Oshon West (North Rowan) had nine points and five rebounds in a 93-75 win against Pitt Community College. He scored six in a 77-74 loss to Wake Tech.
• Tydus Parks (A.L. Brown) had nine points and six rebounds as Catawba Valley Community College beat Guilford Tech 87-72.
Women’s college hoops
Morehead State freshman Shay Steele (West) had 12 points and nine rebunds in a 69-66 overtime loss to Eastern Kentucky.
• Shi-Heria Shipp (Salisbury) had another double-double for Temple in a 79-46 romp against Houston. Shipp had 15 points, 12 rebounds and four assists.
• Radford’s Ayana Avery (West) scored 15 points and had four assists in a 55-53 win against Gardner-Webb on Saturday. Avery made three 3-pointers.
Jessica Heilig (Salisbury) had 13 points and five rebounds for Gardner-Webb.
• Catawba’s Allison Blackwell (Carson) has returned from a a concussion and scored in the Indians’ loss at Tusculum on Saturday.
• Columbia’s Alison Sobataka (West) scored seven points in a loss to Union.
Junior Hairston (West) had 22 points and 13 rebounds in his most recent pro outing in Iceland. Hairston averages 23.1 points an 13.8 rebounds.
• Carlos Dixon (South Rowan) scored 24 points in his most recent game in Japan and averages 19.6 points per game.
Track and field
In Saturday’s Aggie Invitational at Texas A&M, Tennessee’s Tavis Bailey (A.L. Brown) threw the shot put 62 feet, 3 inches for second place.