Filing for elected offices starts Monday
From county commissioners to Congress, soil and water board to the Senate, Rowan County voters will have a full slate of offices to fill this year.
Filing starts Monday at noon, for most offices, at the Rowan County Board of Elections in the county administration building, 130 W. Innes St.
Candidates for judicial and congressional seats file at the State Board of Elections in Raleigh.
Up for election in Rowan this year are three seats on the Rowan County Board of Commissioners, clerk of court, register of deeds, sheriff, district attorney, four District Court judge seats, two State Senate seats, two State House seats, three U.S. congressional districts and one U.S. Senate seat.
Filing for those offices runs through Feb. 28 at noon. Primaries are set for May 6, with early voting from April 24 through May 3.
Also up for election but with filing later in the year are two seats on the Soil and Water Conservation District board, with filing from June 9 though July 4, and four seats on the Rowan-Salisbury Board of Education, with filing from July 18 through Aug. 15.
Two seats are up for election this year on the Kannapolis Board of Education. Both represent the Cabarrus County portion of the city, and filing for those seats will take place in Concord starting Monday.
Here are the offices, incumbents and filing fees:
Filing in Rowan County
• Rowan County Board of Commissioners, three seats up for election, filing fee of $126.71. The seats are currently held by Chairman Jim Sides and commissioners Jon Barber and Chad Mitchell, all Republicans. Mitchell has said he won’t seek re-election, but a number of other candidates have already announced their intention to run.
• Sheriff, filing fee of $716.96, currently held by Republican Kevin Auten.
• Clerk of Court, filing fee of $935.78, currently held by Democrat Jeff Barger.
• Register of Deeds, filing fee of $560.70, currently held by Republican Harry Welch Jr.
• N.C. Senate, two seats, filing fee of $207, currently held by Republicans Andrew Brock in the 34th District and Gene McLaurin in the 25th District.
• N.C. House of Representatives, two seats, filing fee of $207, currently held by Republicans Carl Ford in the 76th District and Harry Warren in the 77th District.
Filing in Raleigh
• Rowan District Attorney, filing fee of $1,207, currently held by Republican Brandy Cook.
• Rowan District Court Judge, four seats, filing fee of $1,107, currently held by Charlie Brown, Beth Dixon, Kevin Eddinger and Bill Kluttz (non-partisan).
• U.S. House of Representatives, three seats, filing fee of $1,740; two seats currently held by Republicans Virginia Foxx in the 5th District and Richard Hudson in the 8th District; the 12th District seat previously held by Democrat Mel Watt will also be filled.
• U.S. Senate, one seat, filing fee of $1,740, currently held by Democrat Kay Hagan.
Filing in Cabarrus County
• Kannapolis Board of Education, two seats, filing fee of $5, currently held by Danita Rickard and Millie Hall (non-partisan).
Filing starting June 9
• Soil and Water Conservation District, two seats, filing fee of $5, currently held by Harry Corriher and Lee Menius
Filing starting July 18
• Rowan-Salisbury Board of Education, four seats, filing fee of $5, currently held by Richard Miller, North Seat; Kay Wright Norman, West Seat; Jean Kennedy, Special District Seat; and L.A. Overcash, South Seat (non-partisan).