10 Things to Know for Today
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. VATICAN DENOUNCED ON CHILD SEX ABUSE
A U.N. human rights committee criticizes the Holy See for adopting policies that allowed priests to rape and molest tens of thousands of children over decades.
2. MOST UNINSURED AMERICANS LIVE IN SMALL NUMBER OF COUNTIES
New research for the AP shows that half who haven’t signed up for health care live in just 116 of the nation’s 3,143 counties.
3. WHERE MICROSOFT FOUND ITS NEW LEADER
The software maker chose Satya Nadella from within its ranks, which some say suggests an aging company reluctant to take bold risks.
4. WHY JORDAN WORRIES ABOUT AN ISRAELI-PALESTINIAN PEACE DEAL
The desert kingdom is concerned Palestinians will give up land in an agreement, leading to another influx of refugees into the country.
5. STATES PROPOSING LAWS THAT WOULD CURB SURVEILLANCE
Angry over NSA revelations, at least 14 states are considering bills that would curtail power of law enforcement to monitor and track people.
6. POLLUTION IN NEW DELHI NOW RIVALS LEVELS IN BEIJING
It’s debatable which city is worse, but China’s capital is working to improve its air and India’s capital is not.
7. OUR WINTER OF DISCONTENT, STATE BY STATE
AP gives you a guide to areas from the Midwest to the Northeast that are suffering through extreme cold, heavy snow and freezing rain and sleet.
8. `OBAMACARE’ MAY CAUSE LOSS OF 2.3 MILLION JOBS BY 2021
Congressional analysts say many people are expected to stop working because the health care law gives them access to insurance outside a job.
9. WOMAN TO BE EXECUTED IN TEXAS IF FINAL APPEALS FAIL
Suzanne Basso, 59, would be the 14th woman nationally and fifth in Texas to die since the Supreme Court allowed capital punishment to resume.
10. SEA SURVIVOR’S KIN REJOICES IN `MIRACLE’
The family of a Salvadoran fisherman who says he survived more than a year at sea in an open boat had thought he was dead after losing touch with him eight years ago.
MOREHEAD CITY (AP) — One young boy died and a second was revived and taken to a North Carolina hospital... read more