• 55°

At least 10 killed in fire at senior home in Quebec

L’ISLE-VERTE, Quebec (AP) — Crews resumed searching for the remains of 22 people presumed killed in a fire at a Quebec seniors’ residence after suspending their activities earlier Sunday due to the frigid temperatures and swirling snow. Officials so far have confirmed 10 dead from the massive fire.
Quebec Premier Pauline Marois cut short a trip to Europe to visit the town of L’Isle-Verte on Sunday, where she met with the mayor and went to the scene of Thursday’s fire at the Residence du Havre.
The premier told a news conference that everything is being done to provide support for those who survived the fire and to give closure to those still awaiting word on their loved ones. She called the blaze “unacceptable” and said the provincial government is prepared to bring about any changes that are necessary to increase safety in senior residences.
“First of all, we will wait for the inquiry because now, we don’t have the results of this evaluation and examination,” Marois said. “After that, we will see if there are some new rules to adopt.”
Marois said a working committee has been in place for one year studying a number of issues, including whether mandatory sprinklers are necessary in these types of buildings. Quebec’s Department of Social Services said the Residence du Havre was up to code and had a proper evacuation plan. A Quebec Health Department document indicates the home, which has operated since 1997, had only a partial sprinkler system. The home expanded around 2002, and the sprinklers in the new part of the building triggered the alarm.
“If they recommend to us to change the rules, to change the laws and implement (mandatory) sprinklers, we will do that,” Marois said.
The cause of Thursday’s blaze remains under investigation. There were media reports that the fire began in the room of a resident who was smoking a cigarette, but police said Saturday that was just one possibility among many.
“It could be a cigarette, it could be a small heater, it could be an electrical problem,” Police Lt. Michel Brunet said at a news conference. “We have to be sure at 100 percent.”
“We’re going to take the time we need,” he added.
Meanwhile, a Sunday afternoon Mass was planned to give residents of L’Isle-Verte a chance to gather together to share their grief. Father Gilles Frigon, the town’s Catholic priest, called it “a step toward healing” and invited relatives and friends to bring photos of the victims.
“It will be family-oriented and intimate, so that in this tragic event we’re going through, we can find ourselves and rebuild our hearts,” Frigon said.
A more official memorial ceremony featuring dignitaries has been scheduled for Feb. 1.
Harsh weather conditions continued to hamper the search with Quebec Provincial Police spokeswoman Ann Mathieu saying poor visibility, blowing snow and frigid conditions forced authorities to temporarily suspend searches early Sunday.
Quebec police said later Sunday that they were gradually resuming the search for more victims, a day after the remains of only two more people were pulled from the rubble.
On Saturday, search teams brought in equipment normally used to de-ice ships that pushes out very hot air to melt down ice that police said is as thick as 60 centimeters (2 feet) in certain places.
“You can imagine how difficult it is to go through the ice, melt it, and do it in a way that we preserve the integrity of potential victims,” Quebec Police Lt. Guy Lapointe said Saturday.

Comments

Comments closed.

News

Defendant convicted in attempted murder case on the run after fleeing from trial

Business

Downtown Gateway Building to be renamed for late Paul Fisher

Coronavirus

Rowan County COVID-19 data for April 15

Local

Rep. Warren’s bill would prohibit parking in electric vehicle charging stations

Local

Historic Preservation Commission approves Integro Technologies expansion, Paint the Pavement project

Education

Faith Academy, RSS will negotiate over what goes, stays in elementary school

Crime

Teacher killed in Alamance County shootout with Mexican drug cartel

Coronavirus

Bill would give more tax breaks on COVID-19 loans

Nation/World

No response as divers knock on capsized ship’s hull

Local

Quotes of the week

Crime

Blotter: Man found on church property with litany of drugs

Crime

Man charged in connection to 2019 overdose death

Business

‘It’s our big time’: Salisbury Farmers Market reopens Saturday

Education

Schools capital funding still frozen as RSS sends local budget to county

Business

Shields, Cheerwine Festival receive N.C. Main Street Awards

Kannapolis

Duke University launches kidney disease study in Kannapolis for people of African descent

Education

Horizons Unlimited will hold in-person summer camps

Education

Education briefs: Catawba planning for more in-person activities, free summer school tuition

Coronavirus

County’s full COVID-19 vaccinations top 22,600

High School

High school golf: With Merrell, Mustangs back on top

Local

Spencer investigating rat problem on South Iredell Street

News

Livingstone, Mission House Church to host national ‘Black Voters Matter’ listening session

Education

Shoutouts

Business

Groundbreaking on Pennant Square signals next phase in downtown Kannapolis revitalization