NC NAACP: Charges dropped against 50 protesters
Published 12:00 am Wednesday, January 22, 2014
RALEIGH (AP) — The North Carolina chapter of the NAACP says Wake County prosecutors have dismissed criminal charges against more than 50 people arrested last year while protesting at the state legislature.
NAACP President William Barber says lawyers representing the protesters were told Wednesday that charges were being dropped against those arrested at the Moral Monday protest May 20. Barber says the cases were dismissed after two protesters tried Tuesday were acquitted by District Court Judge Joy Hamilton.
District Attorney Colon Willoughby did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
More than 930 people were arrested last year at weekly rallies protesting the conservative polices of Gov. Pat McCrory and the Republican-led General Assembly. Barber said 31 defendants have been acquitted so far, with 26 found guilty.