West wrestlers win
West Rowan’s wrestling team won 40-37 at home against South Point on Friday.
Cameron Butler, Dakota Goodson, Zach Ridenhour, Ben Kluttz, Jacob Wood and Francisco Castro won by pins for the Falcons. Thomas Current won a major decision.
Castro’s heavyweight pin decided the match. West trailed 37-34 heading into the final bout.
Lee Garber, who played basketball for Wake Forest in the 1980s has died. Garber was 50 and living in Texas.
A.L. Brown’s boys lost to Weddington 64-40 in the first round of the Carolina Healthcare Systems Holiday Classic on Friday at Cox Mill.
Jokeem Neal led the Wonders with eight points. Greg Joyner scored seven.
“No one really had a good day for us,” A.L. Brown coach Shelwyn Klutz said. “And Weddington is a very good team. They were disciplined and they played well together.”
The Wonders (3-5) will play Union Academy today at 2:30. Union Academy lost 84-52 to host Cox Mill in the first round.
• A.L. Brown’s girls struggled offensively in a a 44-15 loss to Weddington. Talethia Alexander led the Wonders (3-5) with five points. Stephanie Watts scored 17 for the Warriors. The Wonders will play at 1 p.m. today against Union Academy.
• Zach Queen scored 16 points and Tyler Grooms added 14 as West Davidson’s boys beat East Davidson 62-47 in the NewBridge Bank Classic.
• West Stokes beat Lexington’s boys 58-57 in overtime in the Frank Spencer Holiday Classic. Raekwon Byrd led the Yellow Jackets with 16 points, and Jakishe Page scored 15.
• West Forsyth’s girls won 70-56 against Raleigh Broughton in the Bojangles Classic in Charleston. Jazmine Jones scored 18 for the Titans.
• Mount Tabor’s girls won 62-49 against Bishop England. Haleigh Hatfield scored 18 to lead the Spartans.
• West Davidson’s girls lost 62-26 to South Davidson in the NewBridge Bank Classic.
• North Davidson’s girls rolled Central Davidson 41-35 in the NewBridge Bank Classic. Lauren Ramsey scored 14 points for the Knights.
• Thomasville’s undefeated girls won 44-40 against East Davidson in the NewBridge Bank Classic. Jashana Thomas had 16 points for the Bulldogs.
• Aaron Reynolds scored 35 points to lead R.J. Reynolds to a 69-65 win against Parkland in the Frank Spencer Holiday Classic.
• Kyran McClure scored 32 points and Lavon Hightower had 27 as Central Cabarrus’ boys routed South Stanly 101-45 in the Mount Pleasant Christmas tournament.
• Robby Sherrill scored 18 points to lead Mooresville’s boys to a 73-70 win against Lake Norman Charter.
• Mallard Creek’s girls beat Central Cabarrus 67-39 in the Mount Pleasant tournament. Elanna Peay scored 15 for the Vikings.
The Salisbury Parks and Recreation Department is currently taking registration for girls (ages 7-15) and coed (ages 5-6) youth bbasketball leagues. The cost is $30 per person. Register at Hall Gym through Jan. 11 (1400-B West Bank St.). Practices will begin at the end of January and games are in February and March. For more information, call 704-638-5289.
The National Softball Association will hold an umpire clinic at Tilley Harley-Davidson in Salisbury on Jan. 19. The clinic is for slow-pitch officials only.
Registration begins at 8:30 a.m., and the clinic will begin at 9.
The fee for the clinic is $55. Those interested in umpiring any league or tournament play should plan on attending. Rules and mechanics will be taught by Eastern Zone Umpire-in-chief Mike Snyder.
Contact Genna Livengood at 704-239-6693.
Registration continues at the J.F. Hurley YMCA for boys basketball for ages 7-14.
Registration is open until Jan. 12. The cost is $36 for members and $60 for potential members. Contact Phillip Hilliard at 704-636-0111 or email@example.com.
SALISBURY — Davie County’s Asiah Peterson caught a pass in the post, made a quick spin move and put the... read more