Each year for more than a decade, members of the student council at Overton Elementary School have put others’ needs before their own, and this year is no exception. The student group designated $50 to the Christmas Happiness Fund.
The fund helps Rowan County families who are in need to buy gifts for their children. Funds are collected at the Salisbury Post and listed in the paper each day. The Salvation Army of Rowan County distributes the funds.
There is a core group of 30 students in the student council, which is comprised of class representatives, said co-sponsor Elizabeth Sippel. She said each of the students work to involve the entire student population in various events and programs.
The school doesn’t solicit contributions from students, but instead uses money awarded through the Service Above Self awards. The Rowan Rotary Club and the Rowan County United Way partner each year to honor young people for their community volunteer service. Overton Elementary School student council has been nominated for a number of years and has been awarded money for the school in its category. In the past, the school was awarded $500.
Sippel said the students get very involved, including voting on what they want the money to be used for and how much they’ll contribute to their selected cause.
“We have kids that are in shelters and are in very low-income neighborhoods. We have very few middle class and upper class, so we know this is a program that helps some of our children. We use the money we win to help the community,” Sippel said.
Every year, the students give in honor of the school’s staff and the families whose children attend the school.
Bring Christmas Happiness contributions to the Salisbury Post, 131 W. Innes St., between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. weekdays or mail them to The Salisbury Post Christmas Happiness Fund, P.O. Box 4639, Salisbury, NC 28145-4639.
Make checks payable to the Christmas Happiness Fund and indicate how you wish your donations to be listed. Please write legibly to ensure that donations can be listed accurately.
Contributions so far are:
• In memory of Louise Tucker
• Art and Lynn Bolick $250.00
• In memory of Geraldine Miller by Lana Miller $50.00
• In honor of the Charles F. Fisher Chapter No. 73, Children of the Confederacy by the Robert F. Hoke Chapter No. 78, United Daughters of the Confederacy $25.00
• In appreciation of the Veterans of the US Military and their families by Mr. and Mrs. Edison C. Curtis $25.00
• In honor of Forrest, Diana, Gabriela and Davis $25.00
• In memory of Haden Hurley, Buck Hurley and Jim Hurley III $1000.00
• Believers SS Class St. Matthews $100.00
• In honor of Overton Staff and Families by Overton Student Council $50.00
Grand Total $3,805
QUEENSBURY, N.Y. (AP) — Coming soon to your local sheriff: 18-ton, armor-protected military fighting vehicles with gun turrets and bulletproof... read more