1895 M.C. Rufty House
Local merchant and property owner Milton C. Rufty built this Victorian home for his family in 1895, and it remained in the Rufty family until the 1940s.
The house is now below street level after the Bank Street railroad bridge was raised. Note the dramatic, triple-fluted wood corbels on the front porch, second-floor balcony and roof line.
The wrap-around porch was enclosed on the east side to form an office and storage room.
Historic Salisbury Foundation purchased the property in 1997.
Three years later it made its first appearance on OctoberTour as a work in progress.
The home was purchased by the current owners in 2007.
They replaced damaged pin siding, repainted the exterior, and added a new roof.
They extensively remodeled the kitchen and dining room, tiled the floor in the family room, replastered the walls in the master bedroom and replaced metal utility windows with wood frame ones. The original well was located in the back yard.
One upstairs bedroom features an Asian-themed d