China Grove Roller Mill hosts Neely School exhibit
The China Grove Roller Mill Museum will be open Sunday from 2-4 p.m. for an exhibit of the Historic Neely School, a one room school that operated in the late 1880s. The Roller Mill is located at 308 N. Main St., China Grove.
The school closed in 1948 and the Historic Neely School Foundation has plans to restore the school. The foundation is made up of members of the Neely family and former students. The event is free and open to the public. The public is invited to meet with school alumni, learn the history of the Neely family and the school and the foundation’s plans to create a recreation area near the original school location, off Neely Road.
Mary Neely Grissom, foundation president, and her husband, Willie, along with Phyllis Thomside another school alum will be at the event.
The Roller Mill Museum has monthly open house events that feature various exhibits. The building that houses the museum was a meeting place for the agricultural community surrounding China Grove.
The Roller Mill Museum is also available for receptions, meetings and public events. For more information or to reserve the museum call Barbara Doby at 704-433-3912.