West wins Jr. Legion contest
From staff reports
West Rowan’s Junior Legion team won 4-0 against Carson on Friday.
Bryan Ketchie pitched six innings for the win, and Brett Graham finished the shutout.
Hunter Shepherd and Tyler Poteat had two hits each. Shepherd and Micah Marsh had doubles.
West plays a doubleheader against South Rowan today in Mount Ulla with the opener at 4 p.m.
Chase Labbe homered as South beat Davidson County 12-6 on Friday.
Mocksville defeated the Mooresville Legends 9-5 in a Southwestern Division game in Area III on Friday.
Trey Gibson hit a grand slam for Mocksville, which is 3-0 in the division. Nick Boswell and Tati Shibota had two hits each. Nick Collins was the winning pitcher.
Kane Sutton and Hunter Teeter had two hits each for the Legends.
• Rowan County plays a Southeastern Division game tonight against Kannapolis at the Northwest Cabarrus field.
• Southern Rowan returns to action with a Southeastern Division game tonight against Concord at Central Cabarrus.
The Kannapolis Intimidators won 12-2 at Augusta on Friday night.
Jason Coats had three hits for the Intimidators (28-42), including his sixth homer.
Brandon Brennan (4-9) pitched five innings for the win. Mike Marjama had three hits and drove in two runs.
• Justin Seager (NW Cabarrus) made his pro debut for the Everett AquaSox late Friday night. He played first base and singled to right in his first at-bat.
• Corey Seager (NW Cabarrus) walloped two homers for the Great Lakes Loons on Friday and knocked in six runs. Seager just came off the disabled list (hamstring) on Thursday. The homers were the 19-year-old’s fifth and sixth of the season. He’s batting .302 in Class A ball with three triples, six doubles, seven steals and 28 RBIs in 38 games.In his last 10 outings, Seager is batting .395. Baseball America ranks Seager as the Dodgers’ No. 4 prospect.
• Jerry Sands (Catawba) is on the disabled list at Indianapolis, reportedly with a hamstring issue.
• Birmingham’s Daniel Wagner (South Rowan) came out of a slump on Wednesday with two hits. He’s batting .254 in Double A.
• Whit Merrifield (Davie) hit a two-run homer, his second of the season, on Thursday for the Northwest Arkansas Naturals.
A state 7-on-7 championship will be held this season on July 20 at Wake Forest High (formerly Wake Forest-Rolesville).
Fifty teams will compete in four divisions. NCPreps.com and Carolina Elite Football are presenting the event.
Catawba coach Jeff Childress announced three signees for women’s tennis and three for men’s tennis.
The women’s signees are Caroline Graham (Salisbury), Maddy Henderson (Wisconsin) and Faith McLean (Southern Nash).
Men’s signees are Hunter Mitchell (East Davidson), Michael Patch (England) and Brad Smethurst (Canada).
Kyle Seager (NW Cabarrus) had a huge game late Thursday night for Seattle. He had four hits, including his ninth home run.
MOCKSVILLE — The story goes that the Holman family had to sit on the 50-yard-line at South Carolina State-North Carolina... read more