Rockwell Christian students successful in competition
Published 12:00 am Wednesday, June 12, 2013
While tornadic winds invaded Missouri recently, another type of invasion took place on the campus of Central Missouri University — thousands of students from around the world gathered to compete in 145 different events in categories such as music, oratory, art, athletics and academics.
Students had to place in their respective regional conventions to be eligible for participation in the event, which is a highlight of the school year.
Medals were earned for the top six places and recognition was given to the top 15 places in each of the events. The six students representing Rockwell Christian placed internationally as follows:
• First place by Roni Boss and Hannah Preslar in clothing construction, Madison File in color photography, and Andrew Straight for the Golden Harp Award (memorization of the entire book of Psalms);
• Third place in Bible Memory by Andrew Straight;
• Fourth place by File in poetry writing; Preslar in poetry recitation; Straight for production of scripture video;
• Fifth place by File in spelling competition;
• Sixth place by Straight for a pennant design (graphic design).
Also placing in the top 15 were Erica Chilson in color photography; File and Straight for PowerPoint presentation; Preslar in Bible memory; and Straight in essay writing.
The theme of the week was “Stay the Course.” Special speakers included Kenny Baldwin and Johnny Pope. The students were challenged to make right decisions and to stay in “the Way” so that they might be truly successful and blessed by the Lord.