• 59°

WOODLEAF — Family members at an Old Oak Lane mobile home were able to leave before an accidental fire consumed the structure late Friday afternoon. Officials say someone inside was burning incense that led to the bedroom fire.
Annie Rogers, who rents the property in the 1100 block of Old Oak Lane, off Campbell Road, said she was shampooing her carpet and set the incense across an ashtray. She left it unattended and returned to see the dresser was on fire. She told her daughter and grandchildren to run, but she tried to stay behind.
“I was trying to find my dog. The smoke got too much for me,” Rogers said.
She was unable to find her dog, a toy Pomeranian named Thor.
She wasn’t able to put out the fire, and when she started being overcome by smoke, she ran out of the home. The Pomeranian perished in the fire.
Another dog was saved and officials did not find a cat that was inside the home when the fire started.
“The incense dropped onto cloth on the dresser and started a fire. The window was up and gave the fire more oxygen, causing the fire to spread,” said Fire Investigator Deborah Horne.
Neighbor Marsha Davis called 911 when one of the grandchildren knocked on her door, saying the family’s house was on fire. When Davis didn’t see Rogers and the grandchild didn’t know if Rogers got out of the home, she told emergency dispatchers someone was still inside. The initial 911 dispatch call reported a woman trapped inside the home.
When Rogers ran out of the house, Davis said she called emergency officials back to tell them the woman had gotten out.
“It’s a tragedy,” said Fred Bowers, another neighbor.
Bowers also called for help when another of Rogers’ grandchildren knocked on his door. The first thing he did after calling was count how many people were out of the house, he said.
Rogers, her daughter and five grandchildren live at the home. The family had been living at the home for four years. The Rowan County Chapter of the American Red Cross is assisting them.
Multiple fire departments responded to the fire, including Woodleaf, Franklin, Locke and Jerusalem fire departments.

Contact reporter Shavonne Potts at 704-797-4253.

Comments

Comments closed.

Local

Dennis Rivers joins Salisbury Police Department in new homeless advocate position

Cleveland

Rockwell, Faith, Cleveland adopt 2021-22 budgets; East Spencer officials to receive budget next week

Sports

Brind’Amour gets contract extension with Hurricanes, wins coach of year honors

Local

West Rowan grad wins two national masonry competitions

Local

Quotes of the week

Education

Rowan, Kannapolis students below state average for federal aid applications

High School

High school baseball playoffs: Raiders roll past Oak Grove

News

3 dead, 2 still missing after tubers go over Dan River dam

Coronavirus

County, state officials work to increase vaccinations as concern over Delta variant grows

News

Cooper no fan of energy bill

BREAKING NEWS

Hexagon Agility to expand Salisbury facility, invest $28 million, create 75 new jobs

Crime

Blotter: Two men rob convenience store at gunpoint

Business

Brewery, second-floor restaurant planned for downtown China Grove

Local

Sonny Allen, former mayor of Salisbury, dies at age 90

Education

RCCC names Student Excellence Award finalists

Local

City approves permit for child care center near downtown

Business

Deadline approaches to apply for Chamber of Commerce’s Leadership Rowan program

Landis

Landis removed from Local Government Commission’s watch list

Local

YSUP Rowan launches month-long drug use prevention campaign

Education

Shoutouts

Education

RSS reports man impersonating summer meals worker

Local

County ponders plumbing replacement to completely eliminate lead in Dukeville

High School

High school baseball: Round 2 for South, East

College

College baseball: Former East slugger Chandler Blackwelder commits to North Greenville