Youngster calls 911 after food catches fire on stove
William Brown is glad his 10-year-old daughter had the foresight to call 911 when she believed there was a fire at their Miles Drive home.
He said homemade icing on the stove from his son’s birthday caught fire around 4:30 p.m. Monday.
The 911 call indicated the child was at home by herself, but Brown said his father was at the home. Brown was heading out of town, but returned when his daughter called to tell him there was a fire. Brown’s father called him back a short time later to say he’d extinguished the fire.
“It scared her a bit,” Brown said.
The fire was contained to the pot in the kitchen. It was out when the fire department arrived at the house in the Homestead Hills subdivision off Mooresville Road, said Locke Fire Chief Rusty Alexander.
Other fire departments — South Salisbury, Franklin and Cleveland — were on their way, but called off once fire crews on the scene knew the fire was contained. Three Locke fire trucks responded to the scene. Locke firefighters checked the stove as a precaution, Alexander said.
Contact reporter Shavonne Potts at 704-797-4253.
J.C. Eagle may joke about being a retiree with nothing to do, but he’s doing plenty these days. Eagle is... read more