NC governor objects to Charlotte streetcar plan
Published 12:00 am Friday, February 1, 2013
CHARLOTTE (AP) — Pat McCrory did not like a proposal to use property taxes for a streetcar project when he was mayor of Charlotte.
Now Gov. Pat McCrory has told Charlotte officials that a streetcar plan could hurt the city’s chances of getting state money to expand its light rail service.
Charlotte needs a state grant of $250 million to extend its light rail system to the University of North Carolina Charlotte.
McCrory met earlier this week with Charlotte City Attorney Bob Hagemann and Deputy City Manager Ron Kimble.
The Charlotte officials say McCrory told them if the streetcar plan using property tax revenue goes forward, the state funding for the light rail extension could be at risk.
Charlotte Mayor Anthony Foxx says he’s “outraged” by what he considers a threat from McCrory.