Carson High sending students home due to power outage

Published 12:00 am Thursday, January 31, 2013

A tree that fell across power lines during Wednesday night’s severe storms knocked out power at Carson High School, a school system spokeswoman said.
Just as power was about to be restored at the school this morning, an automobile accident in the Bostian Heights community caused “further issues” Rita Foil said.
Carson High has been closed for the day and students sent home. Foil said a program on campus safety that was to be held at Carson later today has also been canceled.
Here is the official statement from Rowan-Salisbury Schools which was shared today through Connect-ED about the situation at Carson High School:
“This is Rita Foil with an emergency message from Carson Principal Kelly Withers, to let you know that school is being dismissed due to a power outage including no phone service. Buses are taking students home and student drivers are being dismissed. If your child does not drive or ride the bus, please make arrangements as soon as possible to have them picked up. Staff will remain on the school campus until all students have left.
“Thank you for your support as we work through this emergency situation.”
Parents have been contacted by the school now and students are leaving.
Earlier in the morning, students at Carson High School began to contact parents about a power outage at the school.
Initially, speculation was it was caused by an accident that took down power lines in the area of N.C. 152 and Old Concord Road. But the N.C. Highway Patrol trooper who investigated the wreck said the car downed a power pole, but that only affected a traffic signal.
According to Duke Energy’s website, Rowan had 1,317 Duke customers without power at 10:15 a.m., the third-highest number of any county in the state.
Another call on the emergency scanner indicated a gas odor in the upstairs portion of the school. Firefighters went into the school to investigate and dissipate the gas odor. Emergency lighting came on when the power went out. One report on the scanner indicates the power may have been out as early as 10 p.m. Wednesday night.
Foil said part of the decision to close the school was the inability to prepare lunch for the students. It is now known when power will be restored.