Speaker wire causes car fire outside South Fulton Street home

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, January 30, 2013

SALISBURY — Sharon Finger reacted quickly when her Honda Accord caught fire shortly before 5 p.m. Tuesday.
Finger who lives at 1012 S. Fulton St., one block away from Mambo Grill, was preparing to go to the grocery store when she saw smoke inside the car.
The smoke was coming from the dashboard on the passenger’s side, near the door frame.
“There was smoke then there was a fire,” Finger said, just minutes after the fire.
She called 911 and returned inside her home to get her fire extinguisher and put out the fire.
Finger said she called 911 as a precaution because she “wasn’t sure it was out.”
She also experienced a car fire years ago that destroyed that car, so she didn’t want to take any chances.
The initial emergency call said the fire had spread from the car and ignited the house.
The car was parked close to the house, but the fire was contained to the car.
Fire officials reduced the emergency response once they were on the scene. Salisbury Fire Department responded to the fire.
Fire officials told Finger the fire was caused by a wire hooked to her speakers. The wire cover was burned and the wire was frayed. Her husband not too long ago put an amp and speakers inside her car. The repetitive opening and closing the door caused the wire to spark against the metal and then catch fire, Finger said fire officials told her. She decided against removing the wire herself. Finger said she was capable of removing it, but thought she’d let her husband remove the wire instead.
“I guess we will wait to go to the grocery store,” she said with a smile.

Contact reporter Shavonne Potts at 704-797-4253.

Comments

Comments closed.