West Rowan girls ranked No. 1 in poll
From staff reports
West Rowan’s girls basketball team is ranked No. 1 in 3A in the NCPreps.com poll that was released on Monday.
At 14-0, West is off to the best start in school history.
Carson (13-3) received votes in the poll. The Cougars play West on Friday.
Northern Nash’s girls (12-0) are ranked second and got five first-place votes. West Rowan received 10 first-place votes. Third-ranked Hickory (13-1) got one first-place nod. Hickory lost to 4A Alexander Central last week to fall from No. 1.
• North Rowan’s boys (12-3) are ranked fourth in 1A this week, moving up one notch.
Winston-Salem Prep is still atop the poll. Albemarle is ninth this week. The Bulldogs, who have lost only to North Rowan, take on North on Friday in a huge YVC contest.
• Central Davidson (11-2) received votes in the 2A boys poll. Cuthbertson is ranked No. 1.
• Concord (13-1) heads the 3A boys poll, with Statesville (10-2) ranked second.
• In the 4A boys poll, Davie (12-2) is ranked sixth. Mount Tabor (15-0) is No. 2, while Olympic (14-0) is No. 1.
• In the 1A girls poll, South Davidson (11-2) is No. 10. The top-ranked team is Lakewood.
• Reidsville (12-0) is ranked No. 1 among 2A girls.
East Davidson is ranked ninth. Thomasville and Central Davidson received votes.
• Myers Park (15-0) is ranked No. 1 in the 4A girls poll. West Forsyth received votes.
Catawba cornerback Jumal Rolle will play in the Raycom College Football All-Star Classic on Saturday.
The game will be played at 3 p.m. in Montgomery, Ala., and will be aired on CBS Sports Network.
The game has a Stars vs. Stripes format. Rolle is on the Stripes team.
College women’s hoops
Talaya Lynch scored 22 points to lead Chowan to 54-51 CIAA upset of Livingstone in Trent Gym on Monday.
Janelle Murphy made a free throw for a three-point lead with 10 seconds left, and LC’s Kelcyn Manurs missed on a late 3-point attempt.
Livingstone (6-9, 2-4) lost despite a 50-33 rebounding edge. The Blue Bears had 26 offensive boards.
Chowan (2-12, 2-4) shot 50 percent in the second half.
Jasmine Murray scored 14 points for Livingstone, while Tiffany Evans had 13.
Murray had 12 boards. Cierra York had four assists.
Livingstone trailed 23-11 at halftime after shooting 9.1 percent from the floor in the first half. The Blue Bears shot 26.2 percent for the game.
CHOWAN (54) —Lynch 22, Curtis 9, Murphy 7, Glenn 6, Coleman 4, Springs 2, Nelson 1.
LIVINGSTONE (51) — York 13, Walker 7, Evans 7, McKieney 4, Tharpe 2, Hill 2, Murray 2, Holloway 2, Manurs 2, Coe 2, Lepzem 1, Chatman.
Chowan 23 31 — 54
Livingstone 11 40 — 51
• Catawba’s Antoinette McPhail was named SAC Player of the Week for women’s basketball.
McPhail averaged 17.5 points and 8.0 rebounds in wins against Brevard and Tusculum.
• DaQuondra Cuthbertson (North Rowan) had five points and 10 rebounds for Fayetteville State in Monday’s 70-59 win against Bowie State. The Broncos are 6-0 in CIAA play.
• De’Rya Wylie (Salisbury) had two points and two rebounds in Elizabeth City State’s 49-47 win at Winston-Salem State on Monday.
College men’s hoops
Carson-Newman’s Antoine Davis was the SAC men’s player of the week. He averaged 22.0 points in wins against Tusculum and Newberry.