Father of Conn. school gunman claims son’s body
Published 12:00 am Monday, December 31, 2012
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — The father of the gunman who killed 26 people in a Connecticut elementary school, including 20 first-graders, has claimed his son’s body, a spokesman for the family said Monday.
The remains of Adam Lanza were claimed by Peter Lanza, the spokesman said. He did not say when the remains were claimed or what plans the family might have for a funeral service.
Adam Lanza, 20, slaughtered the children and six adults at the Sandy Hook Elementary School on Dec. 14. He also killed his mother in their Newtown home before going on the rampage and then committing suicide.
A private funeral was held earlier this month in New Hampshire for his mother, Nancy Lanza, who was divorced from Peter Lanza.
Peter Lanza lives in Stamford, Conn., and is a tax director at General Electric.
Authorities have not offered a motive for the killings. State police say they have been exploring all aspects of Adam Lanza’s life including his education, family history and medical treatment for clues.
Police have said it could take months to produce a final report on their investigation.